Chapter 9 - Part 2

Kate glanced over at Tyler as he stopped the car opposite the under-construction bed and breakfast. He had only studied the map for a minute before he returned it to her and got them to their destination without a second look.

"Thanks for accompanying and driving me around," she said.

He shrugged. "It's nice to get away from the city once in a while."

The moment she got out of the car, Benjamin came jogging out of the bed and breakfast, clutching a bouquet of flowers.

She sighed softly. That wasn't a good sign.

"Is there something I'm missing?" Tyler asked as he strode over to join Kate by her side.

Strictly business, I promise. She rolled her eyes as Benjamin's words replayed in her head.

"We used to date."

They continued toward Benjamin, who had halted midway when he laid eyes on Tyler.

"Hi, Ben," Kate said awkwardly.

Squaring his shoulders, Benjamin handed Kate the flowers. "Hi there." He leaned in to kiss her on the cheek before turning to Tyler. "I didn't know you were bringing someone."

"You seem to have forgotten that I no longer need to let you know who I'm going out with," Kate said, hoping it would remind him of their professional standing. "Ty, this is Benjamin Anderson, owner of the bed and breakfast. And Benjamin, Tyler."

Benjamin nodded at Tyler before he placed his hand on Kate's back and led her toward the bed and breakfast. "You never asked me along for any of your projects."

"I don't think I owe you any explanation." She stepped out from Benjamin's arm.

"I tried calling your house the other day, but it kept going to the voicemail. I was in town and thought I could drop by," Benjamin continued as she moved toward Tyler.

"Oh, I've moved in with Ty. I guess you can try to get me on my cell phone next time." Casually, she wrapped her hands around Tyler's arm.

Benjamin's jaw slackened. "Moved in?"

She nodded, praying Tyler would play along with her little charade.

Tyler had appeared stunned for a moment, probably surprised by her sudden touch. Once that moment passed, he folded his arm to support her weight as she leaned in.

Disbelief flooded Benjamin's face. "When?"

"Last week," Kate chimed. Since Tyler hadn't pulled away from her, she took that as his consent to participate. In gratitude, she beamed up at Tyler and leaned closer as he returned her smile.

"How long have you known him? You moved in with him after knowing him for what, three months?" Benjamin asked with complete confusion. "I asked you to move in with me—twice—but you refused. You said—"

"I know what I said," she cut in before he could finish his sentence.

"Were you seeing him before we broke up?"

"I'm not you."

Benjamin swallowed hard and cleared his throat.

"Things are different with him. I've moved in with him, and I'm happy. All of which shouldn't matter to you. You promised this was strictly business."

Benjamin grunted and stared at Tyler. "What's so special about him?"

She glowered at how rude Benjamin was. "Completely different and absolutely none of your business. I think you've made your stand pretty clear. Find someone else for your project; I can't help you." She turned to leave, pulling Tyler along.