Chapter 14 - Part 3

Tyler listened in while Kate chatted with Adrianna and Tim and answered all the questions that Adrianna had about her.

He wasn't paying full attention to the conversation. His mind was still thinking about the almost-kiss he'd had with Kate.

She hadn't moved away when he'd leaned in, but her reaction after that was baffling. She appeared embarrassed, then pretended as though the moment never occurred.

Maybe he was being impetuous.

He sighed softly, putting the thought out of his mind.

Once dinner was over, everyone moved around, taking part in the various lucky draws and competitions.

He and Kate were the only ones who remained seated at the table.

No one was around them, but he could feel the stares and almost hear the gossip going around.

He knew the ongoing conversations in the room revolved around them.

Kate must have felt it, too. She reached for her necklace again, only to release it immediately.

"Are the stares making you uncomfortable? We can leave." He shouldn't have lied to her and asked her to come along.

He'd never stayed longer than an hour at the dinner. There was no way it would've dragged over the midnight rule. But since the trip to North Dakota, he'd missed spending time with her away from their usual gang, and the dinner was a perfect excuse and chance to do so.

"It feels a little awkward." She gave him a small smile. "But I'm good."

Just as she finished her sentence, he noticed the familiar face moving toward their table. He bent close to Kate and said, "Give me a minute. I'll be right back." But as he stood, he hesitated. "Will you be all right alone? Should I get Adrianna to accompany you?"

"I don't need a babysitter," she assured him. "Go."

He headed over and took the piece of paper that his employee was holding. "This is the current address?"

His employee nodded.

"Thanks," he said and returned to Kate. He'd barely left her for a minute and already she was surrounded by a group of women. But the moment he neared their table, the women dispersed.

"How do you work with them when they're all so frightened of you?" Kate asked.

"I work better alone."

She nodded and changed the topic as the man he'd spoken to walked by. "Is everything all right?"

He pulled his hand out from the pocket, leaving the piece of paper inside, while he considered his reply.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I shouldn't be so nosy."

He ran his finger along her jaw as he gazed into her eyes. "I don't mind you asking. I'm just worried that my answer may upset you."

Her brows furrowed. "What is it?"

"The favor you asked. Do you still want your answer?"

Understanding flooded her face. "You found the retired detective?"

"Do you still want to find him?"

She thought about it for a moment before nodding. "Yes."

Tyler sat, looking into her eyes. "Then I want a promise in return. Unless you make me this promise, I won't give you the address."

"I promise, whatever it is," she replied without any hesitation.

"You haven't even heard what I want."