Chapter Six

I stood beside Peggy, as we watched over the recruitments do their push-ups. I watched as everyone seemed to be doing everything perfectly, but I noticed Steve struggling. Even when things are difficult, he never gives up. He reminds me of me, slightly. "Faster ladies, come on. My grandmother has more life in her, God rest her soul. Move it!" Peggy told them. I overheard someone talking, and when I looked around, I saw Colonel Phillips and Dr. Erskine walking toward us.

"Up." I told the men. They quickly stood up straight, and held their heads up high. "Jumping jacks." I watched as they began to do their jumping jacks. 

"Come on girls," Peggy sang. I gaze over at Peggy, and she gave me a small smile. 

"I think you really enjoy this." I said with a small smile. She shrugged her shoulders. 

"Maybe a little."  She chuckled. A grin quickly spread on my lips, but I was startled by Colonel Phillips' announcement.

"Grenade!" He yelled. Everyone started to run away, but I tried to quickly run to it, but I was beaten by Steve. He quickly hopped onto the grenade, and curled his body over it. 

"Get away! Get back!" He told everyone. My eyes widened, by his actions. I've never once met a man, or a person for that matter, who would willingly put there body over a grenade, just to protect the ones around them. Steve Rogers is definitely different from everyone I've met.

"Phony grenade," I heard someone say.  Steve rose up and looked around, confused by the grenade. 

"Is this a test?" He asked. I smiled slightly. I walked over to him and helped him up. 

"You're one reckless man, Rogers." I said as I helped him. 

"Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?"  He asked. I smiled. 

"A very good thing." I said. He shyly smiled.

* * * *

I was getting ready, for the meeting about tomorrow. We were leaving New Jersey, to go to Brooklyn, New York for the serum injection for Steve and I. I was a bit nervous about tomorrow, but I can't back down now. I've already agreed to being a part of it, and besides, it could be help for the division. I changed into one of my uniforms, and did my hair and make-up. Once I was finished, I walked out of my cabin. 

As I walked to the office, I happened to see Hodge talking with some soldiers. I tried to pretend that he wasn't there, but it is easier said than done. As I walked past him, I heard him calling my name. 

"Hey, Lt. Thomson!" Hodge called. I ignored him, and kept walking. That; however, wasn't very useful. "Lt. Thomson!" He called again. I tried to walk faster, but I was stopped when I felt someone grab my arm, and roughly pull me backwards, and turned me towards them. I looked up, and noticed it was Hodge. 

"Let go of me." I demanded. He simply chuckled and gripped my arm tighter. 

"Come on, Lt. Thomson. Be a doll, and do me a favor," he said with a wink. I tried to hit him, but he grabbed my hand, and slammed me into a wall. I could smell the alcohol on his breath. As I looked at his eyes, I noticed he had a certain look in his eyes, and I knew exactly what he wanted.

"This isn't how you treat your superior." I said as I struggled in his grip. He smirked.

"Why struggle, Lieutenant? I'm sure you'd enjoy this."  Hodge said with a sinister grin. I spit in his face. He glared at me angrily, and slapped me across my face. I felt a sting in my right cheek. He slammed me against the wall again, causing me to release a yelp. 

"Let me go!" I yelled as I tried to get out of his grip. 

"Let the lady go," I heard a familiar voice say. Hodge turned around and I gazed over, to see Steve. 

"Stay out of this, pipsqueak!" Hodge said angrily. 

"She said let her go. I advise you to do so," Steve said. Hodge chuckled and looked at me. 

"Can you believe this guy?" He laughed, as he looked back at Steve. "I'm not afraid of a little guy like you,"  he smirked. Even though Steve is little, but has a big heart, I know he couldn't handle Hodge. He's much stronger, and bigger than him. 

"You ought to be," Steve said. Hodge chuckled, and threw me to the ground. I felt a slight pain in my arms, from the cuts. I looked at Hodge as he approached Steve. 

"You wanna wrestle? Show me what you got, pipsqueak." Hodge challenged him. I watched as Steve tried to swing at him, but missed. Hodge quickly took the opportunity, and punched Steve in the face. Steve was nearly sent off his feet, but managed to remain standing. He held his fists up, ready to swing at Hodge again. Hodge chuckled.

"You should just go down, pipsqueak," Hodge said right before he went to swing at Steve again, but was stopped when Peggy suddenly grabbed his arm. He looked at her, and she immediately punched him in the face. She looked at me. 

"Are you alright?" She asked me. I nod my head. 

"Perfectly fine." I assured her. Steve walked toward me, and helped me stand up. 

"You're not hurt anywhere, are you?" He asked. I shook my head. 

"I'm fine," I assured him. I felt a sting in my arm, causing me to let out a light hiss. 

"Is it your arms?" He asked. I nod my head. "Come on. I'll help you". He said. We walked to my cabin, and Steve carefully applied more medicine onto my cuts. He re-bandaged my cuts, and he checked to make sure I wasn't hurt anywhere else. 

"Why did you stand up against Hodge?" I asked him. He was putting the unused bandages back into the medical kit. 

"I don't like bullies. Nor do I like men who don't treat women right." He explained. I smiled slightly. 

"Thank you for defending me, Steve," I said with a smile. 

"No problem, Danielle." He said shyly. He didn't say my name often, but when he did, it always made me smile. I don't know why, but it does. I've never felt this way towards another man, until Steve came around. The feelings I'm feeling are strange, but I must admit...I'm enjoying the feeling, a little.