Chapter Eleven

It's been a while, and Steve has yet to move his arm. I'm sure it must be sore from the weight of my head. I was going to say something, when I heard someone's voice. "Hello Steve, Danielle," someone said. I quickly lifted my head from Steve's shoulder, and the two of us turned to see Peggy.

"Hi," I said, a little shocked to see her. It's been so long.

"Hi," she replied as she sat beside me. 

"What are you doing here?" Steve asked her.

"Officially, I'm not here at all. That was quite a performance." She said. I could sense some sarcasm. 

"Yeah, uh..." Steve trailed. 

"We had to improvise a little bit. The crowds we're used to are usually more...twelve," I laughed a little. 

"I understand the two of you are America's new hope," she explained.

"Bond sales take a ten percent bump on every state we visit," Steve added. 

"That's Senator Brandt's idea." Peggy said.

" At least he's got us doing this. Colonel Phillips would have us stuck in some lab," I said, a little upset with the truth of my words.

"Is this really coming from a Lieutenant of nearly a year?" She asked me. I nodded my head. "And these are your only two options. A lab rat or a dancing monkey?" Peggy asked. I nodded my head. I understood where Peggy was going with this. 

"We're meant for more than this, you know," I told Steve. Steve looked like he wanted to say something. "What?" I asked him. 

"You know, for the longest time, I dreamed about, coming over seas and being on the front lines, serving my country. Finally got everything I wanted... and I'm wearing tights." Steve said. I smiled to myself slightly. This whole thing is not a complete loss. We heard beeps coming from a car, and the three of us turned around, to see a medical truck dropping off patients. "Looks like they've been through hell." Steve commented. 

"These men move the most. Schmidt sent out a force to a zone. Two hundred men went up against him...less than fifty returned. Your audience contained what was left of the 107th. The rest were killed or captured," Peggy informed us. Steve quickly looked at her.

"The 107th?" He asked hastily. I gave him a worried look. 

"What is it?" I asked. He quickly got up, and started running away. Peggy and I rushed after him, trying to catch up to him in the rain. We managed to make it to a tent, where Colonel Phillips was sitting at a table.

"Colonel Phillips," Steve said, slightly breathing heavily. 

"Well if it isn't the Star Spangled Man with the plan. What is your plan today?" He asked Steve. Kind of messed up how Steve has that nice slogan, where I'm just, American Dream.