Accounting Process

As defined on the first chapter; Accounting is an information system.

Why? Because it measures, processes and communicates information which are primarily financial in nature.

-

Accounting Process:

1. Analyzing - identify the transaction from source documents and determine the effects on the business supported by accounting documents.

2. Recording - inputting of information in the accounting books called journals.

(Special Journals - Cash receipts book, cash disbursements book, sales book and purchase book.
General Journal - transactions that are not grouped in the special journals.)

3. Classifying - posting of journalized transactions in the ledgers, T-accounts.

(Subsidiary Ledgers - show the details of those transactions in the general ledger.)

4. Summarizing - trial balance; accounts grouped into assets, liabilities, owner's equity, revenue and expense.

(Accounting cycle also includes adjusting of trial balance. After adjusting that's when you do the next step.)

5. Reporting - financial summaries called financial statements.

(Income statement, balance sheet, cash flows and changes in equity)

6. Interpreting - combination of figures and narrations. Interpreting of the financial reports and the results.

**
Just remember the acronym, ARC-SRI. HAHAHA Anyway, credits to Solita Frias and Investopedia.