|CHAPTER 16: CHASING FIRE|

It always is harder to be left behind than to be the one to go.

• • •

Rinsing off the shampoo from her hair, Evelyn cleansed herself, getting rid of the feeling of his touch on her.

She didn't want to kiss him.

She didn't want to kiss him because she just didn't.

There was nothing non-attractive about him, yet she was not even the tiniest bit attracted to his advances.

She wasn't over Tony, and she was entirely sure of it now.

Tony.

He had been the one.

He had been the one for her, he had been the person she wanted to marry, he had been it for her.

She wasn't sure what was wrong with her.

Jace was extremely handsome, he was funny, he was sweet, he had a drool worthy body, and yet she couldn't bring herself to even like him.

Because she loved him.

Because she was surely still in love with her ex, and that didn't make her feel any better.

Her parents rarely approved of anyone she dated, and it came as a shock to her that they had approved Tony immediately.

He was a playboy.

A heartbreaker.

And yet her parents were more excited about their relationship than she was.

Maybe because he was like a son to them too.

Maybe because they knew the real him.

And Evelyn hated herself.

She hated herself for making everything about him.

It was always him.

Everything was about him.

His pain.

His happiness.

His mood.

She dedicated her life, her time, her heart, her very soul to take care of him.

To love him like he hadn't been loved before.

To show him that indeed he could be loved.

That he wasn't just an object, that he deserved to be loved like everyone else, if not more.

And she didn't regret her decision last night.

Because she had promised, even if it was a long time ago, that she would keep it.

L A S T N I G H T

She pushed him.

She pushed him away because no one could ever kiss her like he could.