|CHAPTER 23: STITCHES|

The ones who love us never really leave us.

• • •

"I'm sorry, Madison."

"No."

Madison Greene wasn't sure if she wanted to be here anyway.

She wasn't sure as to why he had invited her here of all places.

The restaurant pretty much looked the same, the lights illuminating it from above, the chairs, comfortable as always.

Her mother loved this place, and Madison hated her father for bringing her here.

"You chose her. You ruined our family, you drove mom away, and I hate you for that." Her voice was clear and strong, and yet the weak part of her didn't make eye contact with him.

The man who had ruined her mother.

The man who had ruined his own family.

"Did you even love her? My mom I'm talking about." She didn't want to know if he loved Katherine, that information was none of her business, and it wasn't exactly useful to her in any way.

"I loved her." He confirmed.

She scoffed.

"I really have a hard time believing that. If you think that you somehow have a chance at making things right with me then you might as well leave. You broke my mom's heart, it's your fault. She left me because of you. She left me alone because of you, and I blame you. I blame you for every bad thing that has happened to her."

Snatching her purse, she walked out of there, aware that he was looking right at her.

"Hello?"

"I did something-"

"You fucked him
didn't you?"

When Evelyn cleared her throat, Madison screamed.

Literally, screamed.

"You and Stark!"

"Just come over."

***

"And you left? Just like that?"

"Yes just like that. What was I supposed to do?" Evelyn frowned, slumping on the couch.

"Eve, you know I love you right?" Madison raised both her brows

"I'm sensing an insult coming." Eve cringed.

"You're a fucking idiot, you're in love with him, and even though I was against you getting back together, it's pretty clear that he's bloody in love with you too." Madison sighed.

"I don't know."

"Well, that's great and all, Eve, but what about Jace?" Madi bit her lip expectantly, slumping even deeper into her couch.

"He's been avoiding me. The morning after he kissed me, we had a talk, and I told him that it's best if we stayed friends, and I literally haven't spoken to him since then. We were supposed to discuss if we were heading back to Chicago or not, but I literally don't see him at work at all." She explained, and Madi shrugged, feeling bad for the poor fellow who was chasing her friend, who was still not over her ex.