|CHAPTER 27: PERFECT STRANGERS|

Your name still lives in the quiet of my mouth.

• • •

"I'm getting a driver." Evelyn smiled, dropping her hairbrush and slumping on her bed.

"Why?" Madison asked, with a weirded out look.

"Because traffic is just terrible, and my car is getting boring-"

"And, now you just sound like a spoiled rich brat." Madi interrupted with a chuckle, Evelyn tossing her head backwards in laughter.

"I just don't feel like driving anymore. It's really exhausting, and I'm sure Colton would be honoured to drive me anywhere." Evelyn smiled smugly as her friend shook her head in disbelief.

"You already got the driver?" Madison laughed, realising her friend wasn't suggesting a driver, she was informing her that she got one.

"That's great. Let's go meet him!"

***

"What about this one, Uncle Tony?" Clint's son, Cooper, had asked.

"That's the letter A." Tony nodded enthusiastically, looking at the colourful letters.

"A like?"

"A like, asshole." Tony shot him a wink, and looked around quickly to check if someone had heard him.

"Hmm." Cooper pondered there for a while before nodding and going to B.

"That's B. Like breasts or boobs. Take your pick." Stark shrugged, sliding a cup of hot cocoa to his 'nephew'.

"That's C. Like...uh..condoms!" He clasped his hands together, and sighed.

He was such good teacher.

"That's D. Right, Uncle Tony?"

"Yep. It's stands for dick-"

"TONY!" Natasha growled, unable to believe what her ears had witnessed.

"What are you doing?!"

Tony sat there smiling, not even paying her attention.

"Auntie Nat! Uncle Tone is going to teach me the difference between an ass and a booty." Cooper grinned, and Natasha's face was a mixture between horror and fake excitement.

"Sure Coop. Your mom's downstairs, I need to talk to your uncle alone for a minute." She fake smiled at Stark, who had mischievous look on his face.

"Are you going to see his dick? Or is he going to see your breasts, or was it boobs?" The kid frowned, oblivious to the fact that his Aunt was pretty much in horror at his words.

"No. Don't ever say that again, Cooper." She scolded and he shrugged, and walked towards the elevator.

Once he was out of site, Natasha choked the billionaire.

"Even if you kill me, I'll still be the cool uncle." He barely chocked out, trying to claw her hand away.

"Children should be banned from seeing you!" She snapped, moving away for him to breath.

"Haven't you heard?" He coughed, "I'm Iron Man. Kinda famous around kids these days. Red and gold-"

"One more word, and your dead." she hissed, part of her finding it funny, but never actually showing it.

He raised his hands in defeat, shooting her a wink.

"Don't you have to go bother Evelyn or something?" She raised an eyebrow, truly she was curious as to what they were doing.

"She's testing out her new car with her new driver." He huffed.

"Why are you pouting?"

"Because I wasn't invited!" He glared at her playfully, with pouty lips.

"How are things going...you know. Is there something there?" She smiled, but it faltered a second later when she saw his face return serious.

"No, uh...she doesn't...we're not..."

"I get it." She nodded, and ruffled his hair.

"What'd you say we go and teach Cooper  more words?" She tried to cheer him up, and it worked because a second later he had a boyish grin on his face.

"I knew you were fun."

***

***

"What did she want?" Evelyn asked, as she flipped through her dresses, trying to find an appropriate outfit for dinner.

"Money." Jace exhaled.

Trying to ignore the sharp stabs at realising that Jane only wanted his money.

She didn't even apologise.

"Wow." Evelyn scoffed, she couldn't believe how harsh and cruel people could get.

"It's not for her. Her father is having a surgery and-"

"You're paying for it." She concluded, choosing a white dress.

"Yeah." He sighed, agony in his eyes as he sat on Evelyn's bed.

Wrapping her arms around him, she pecked him on the cheek and whispered.

"You have a good heart, Jay." Once she pulled away, she realised that as his friend, it was her duty to cheer up his night.

"Come with me."

"Where?"

"Tonight." She shrugged.

"To your parents?" He raised his eyebrows, and she nodded slowly, not thinking that there was anything wrong with that.

"I don't want to intrude-"

"None sense. Come on. You'll have fun."

Sure enough, they did have fun.

Very much fun.

And yet when she returned back to Madi's apartment, with her new driver, Colton.

Trouble was awaiting her.

She just didn't know it yet.