|CHAPTER 39: COLD WATER|

Of all the feelings that rage inside of me you remain a calm steady need.

• • •

"Who is it?" Madison giggled like a teenager, as she waited near the luxurious door.

"Queen Elizabeth." Leon snorted, holding his bemused expression on the other side of their new home.

"Oh, ha ha." Madison huffed, and opened the door for him to brush past her with no greeting.

"Where's Eve?"

"Out with Tony." Madi shrugged, glaring at his retreating back.

Giving in to her sigh of despair, she plopped on the couch, noticing how much more comfortable it was than her old one.

"I'm sorry. I'm being a dick." Leon stepped back in again with a guilty smile.

"Glad you finally noticed." She crossed her arms, and glared at a random chair.

"How are you?" He sat a little bit further away from her on the couch.

She gave him an 'are you fucking kidding me look' and he winced.

"I said I was sorry, Mads!" He complained, and she secretly smiled.

Her eyes drifted down to his hand, and her face fell slightly once she realised that he had taken the ring off.

"It reminded me too much of you when I was in Chicago. I had to take it off." He coughed, uncomfortably shifting every now and then.

"No, it's okay. I won't like...force you to wear it. I mean it was just a stupid gift, right?" She twirled her fingers, feeling saddened as the past got thrown their way.

"No, Mads. I liked the ring, really. I did. But it was hard to wear and not think of you." He let out a sharp breath.

"And would thinking of me be such a bad thing?" She inwardly cursed as she absentmindedly uttered those words.

"What do you want from me, Madison? Do you want me to say that I missed you? Well, yeah. I did miss you. A lot. Do want me to say that I was fucking miserable out there watching Carter and my sister be all lovey dovey with each other, and trying not to make it remind me of us? Well, I fucking was. I was bloody miserable without you Madison. Is that what you want to hear?" He panted, his scowl reforming on his face.

"No, well parts of that, but..."

"What do you want from me Madison? You were the one that ended us, it was you. You weren't happy. It was you who left me." He snapped, harshly getting up to his feet.

"I wasn't happy, Leon. My mother fucking left me, and-"

"Jesus, Madison. I know that, I was there to help you through that, only you didn't want my help. You didn't even try to accept it." Taking a deep breath, he leaned down on one knee, stroking her right thigh.

"Look...what's done is done. We should move of on from that, Madison. We both really should. Our relationship wasn't healthy, it was fun while it lasted, but now I really want to find someone who will stay."