ONE - Flying Colors

Soundtrack for the chapter
Ferrari by The Neighbourhood
-
-

Her hair was as wavy as you'd imagine a summer breeze would look like. Her eyebrows, always thick and rarely in place, were known to be one of her most defining features. Her hair, delicate but strong, flirted with a color as dark and threatening as the shades of night. The dark hazel color of her eyes served as a warning to the dangerous interior like a stop sign on a highway.

She slammed her cup of coffee on the table unintentionally, focused on typing up the rest of her last case's conclusion, and didn't care that some of the coffee had spilled on the table.

"Good morning, March." She heard. Without moving her head, the side of her eye discovered a boy under her door frame. He looked down and shoved a hand in his pocket, "You look beautiful today."

She looked at him barely acknowledging his presence, waiting for some relevant information.

He cleared his throat, "Uh, well, I was wondering if you've already started filing the Valdez case." She blinked; a frown glued to her face like a mask. "Of course... you'll tell me when you're done with it. Right?"

Again, no answer.

The man looked around her office and gulped. "I'm sorry to have interrupted. I'll, uh, be waiting for your e-mail, then." He stood still at first once again waiting for an answer, but the more the silence filled the room, the more he looked around trying to understand what she wanted him to do, "Should I— Uh, do you want me to—"

Finally, she looked at him and delicately broke the quiet, "John."

"Yes?"

"Leave."

"Yes."

And just like that the boy turned and left her space, letting Monday get back to her coffee.

Suddenly, another knock on the door. "Permission to enter?"

She half-smiled as she reclined on her chair, appreciating her best friend's presence.

Feyre replied to the welcoming smile with her always-present coy, perfectly glossed, tiny lips, and without needing permission, took a seat on the chair across her friend's desk.

The morning light shone through Monday's large windows and into her office making Feyre's brown skin radiate like the sun, contrasting quite nicely with the preppy lilac headband shining through her black hair.

"Everyone was at the bar last night, except for you."

Monday sighed and rolled her eyes, "I don't like dirty places or drunk people." She reminded her friend, "Which kind of takes the fun out of bars, don't you think?"

Feyre grabbed one of Monday's heavy pens from her collection and played with it, "I think you're a snob who doesn't know how to have fun, and I also think Elliott totally asked about you yesterday."

Monday took in a sharp breath, "He did not."

Feyre smiled deviously, "Oh, he did."

"What did you say?"

She sighed, "I told him you don't like dirty places or drunk people." She leaned over the glass table, "And I can tell you this boy was both drunk and dirty."

Monday grabbed the pen from her hand and threw it at her, unfolding a familiar giggle amongst the two.

"Did I just hear you say drunk and dirty?" They heard coming from the door, and jumped up from their seats immediately bringing themselves to a professional appearance once again.