Chapter 23: Vanity

Not-Happenstance-Anymore was a wonderful horse. The fact that Frey never used him at all was outrageous. He was by far the easiest horse she'd ever handled, more or less steering on his own and avoiding bumpier parts of the road. Had he known which way led to Wyrmdon, Luna wouldn't have had to do much at all aside from holding on and finding the occasional brook for them to rest at.

"When we get back to South Kerilia, I'll talk to Frey and convince him to sell you to me," Luna assured the horse and patted his mane gently. "And I'll give you your own name. Something nice... But maybe to honor your previous master too, like... Freyby the grown baby. But maybe that's too long. Hoow about... Bratty blond? ... But then you're chestnut colored..."

They reached a fork in the road and Luna looked for a sign to indicate where they'd be going next. To her annoyance it seemed the signs were a bit further down each road so she had to choose one first and hope she was right.

"Oop, no. This one's the one to North Kerilia," she soon muttered and tugged at Not-Happenstance to turn him around. "Oh! How about Lord Neigh? Lord Neigh Clopsson!

Not-Happenstance let out a nicker and shook his head. Luna sighed.

"I know. I don't really care much what your name is, and I shouldn't have a more active conversation with a horse than I usually have with people, but I... Need something to focus on. I sure as The Waste don't want to focus on whatever mess I'll find in Wyrmdon."

Not-Happenstance made a quick bow, forcing Luna to hold on tighter. She frowned and pulled the reins.

"Hey! I don't need to watch my language around you!"

With a sigh she loosened her grip on the reins again.

"My father aside, how do I get out of this bloody marriage thing? And what kind of a name is Gashcrow anyway? Luna Gashcrow? I don't think so!"

Though I guess it could sound worse...? Eh, I'll just hate it out of circumstance.

"I can't just run off, can I?" She pulled a lock of hair which had strayed from her ponytail behind her ear. "Where would I go? I don't know anything outside of South Kerilia... Oh! But maybe Uncle Ethan would let me come along on Uncle Abram's ship! That can't be half bad. Not possibly worse than being a wife to someone who'd marry me to do the town a favor anyway. Don't know if Uncle Ethan would let me though... Maybe I'll join those pirates instead then!"

Not-Happenstance only continued walking. Luna's shoulders slouched.

"I know... Piracy is dangerous... But what do I do if I stay? Just go along with it? Be married and then sneak out all the time to be able to live my life?" She blew raspberries. "Maybe I'll just be as obnoxious and unruly as I can be. And I'll send Finn running with the tail between his legs. Let's see the Gashcrows wanting me in the family then!"

This is exactly why he's getting rid of you.

Luna's eyes narrowed and she almost lost her grip on the reins. She felt weak. A despicable feeling, she'd always thought, and she promptly shook her head.

"Stupid old man..." she muttered.

"Ex—Excuse me, young... One. You wouldn't be talking to me, would you?"

Luna looked up and blinked. She'd forgotten about her surroundings while talking to Not-Happenstance-but-maybe-Lord-Neigh-Clopsson, or rather herself, and only now noticed she was passing by a field with a middle aged, possibly elderly couple each holding a sickle on the side of the road. Beside them stood a cart loaded with what Luna was pretty sure was wheat.

"Uh, no." Luna pursed her lips. "I was talking to my—To myself."

"Ah... Excuse us then." He bowed his head and turned back to the cart.