Chapter 44: Leftovers

Luna wasn't the most proper of ladies, but she liked to think she made an attempt to be.

Sometimes.

And proper ladies didn't follow two strangers into a deep underground cave system underneath an underground town. This time was just an exception.

"How fucking deep does this place go?" she whispered to Shyen as they gazed down at the big cavity they were supposedly going to descend. Shyen pursed his lips and shook his head at her.

"I have no idea. We've mapped out some of it, but no one's been much further down than the siren cave."

Luna thought back to the creature she'd seen at the harbor and the terrible fate the fishermen had faced.

"And it's... Safe?"

"They're sweet, once they're on your side." Derek joined them to look down and then turned to scan Luna's appearance. "You, uh... You might want to lighten up on your attire. It's not that easy of a climb."

Luna looked down at her dress. She'd argue climbing was still possible even in her full attire, but depending on the terrain and potential things to get stuck on she supposed some layers could come off, and it wasn't as though she was that kind of a prude. By Dyris, she'd been running outside barefoot in her shift before, but while actively accompanying strangers into a cave?

"... Fine." She sighed and unbuttoned her habit. "Help me out, will you?"

She turned around to show her back to Shyen, who pursed his lips.

"I... How much?"

"Just the shift and a petticoat should be fine for climbing, right?"

"... Right."

It took a couple of awkward seconds before she felt a movement around her waist as Shyen began helping her remove her several layers of clothing.

"There." Luna nodded as the stays came off. "This should be fine."

"It's... easier to move around, I'm sure."

"Here." Derek removed a heavy bag from his shoulder and handed her his light jacket. "Should be easier to move your arms in compared to the habit, and Shy's gonna faint at any moment with you dressed like that."

"I'm not," Shyen protested with an attempt at a confident smile, voice louder than he'd probably intended. "It's not like I haven't seen a shift before. Or... More than that, you know?"

Derek held a finger against his lips as he flung the bag over his shoulder again and handed Shyen a lantern.

"It'll still keep her warm."

The climb was shorter than Luna had expected. They soon reached an opening in the wall where a wooden bridge had been built, and on the other side Luna could see what looked like a larger pond in the dark, surface reflecting the light from the lantern.

She waited impatiently as she, along with Shyen, sat down on the floor while Derek walked up to the pond and examined it. Then he uttered a low tune and slowly built it up into a melodic humming. Luna looked around with her lips pressed together as it echoed against the cave walls. It was certainly an awkward experience, she decided.

Then Derek stopped, and sat down next to them.

"It could take a while, depending on how far away they are."

Luna nodded as if it was obvious, but averted her gaze so as not to show her skepticism.

Derek seemed to notice anyway.

"They communicate like that."

Luna's curiosity got the best of her, once again.

"Through... Song?"