Chapter 1

Ainsley

"You ready for your first kiss?" I heard Chase ask from behind me and felt goosebumps rise on the back of my neck. We were sitting in plastic lounge chairs just outside of the light of the bonfire; I'd been looking the other way, up at the adults. My dad was getting drunk, and I figured that even though it was my birthday, I'd be taken home soon.

Chase moved into me, circled his arms around my waist before pulling me toward him. As I turned to face him, my eyes were wide, so excited; I could hardly stand it. It was finally going to happen for me.

I was so nervous; I couldn't say anything, just nodded. A split second later, his mouth was on mine, his lips pressed firmly onto mine, and his hands drew me into the warmth of his chest. He held me tight, my slim frame fit right into him, his body beginning to get more muscular since he'd turned fifteen.

I tilted my head to the side to make the angle a little less awkward and wrapped my arms around his neck. My body was practically limp; I let him take me over. Chase's lips were dry but soft; the kiss made my young heart race. It was the most exciting thing that had ever happened to me.

I knew, without a doubt that this was the moment I'd been waiting for. My life was beginning right now. Chase would be mine for the rest of my life. I knew he would love me forever; he was the perfect boy for me.

I lived in absolute bliss and in a state of complete happiness for about seven seconds.

"What in the ever-loving fuck are you doing?" My dad, the chapter president of the Makers of Peace MC, growled. My eyes widened as I watched in horror.

My dad's entire body was vibrating with a rage I'd never seen before. Not when I'd tried to sneak out. Not when he caught me and my best friend Julie drinking moonshine. Not even when I scratched the paint on his bike.

"I'm going to kill you, boy," he snarled, holding Chase by the fabric of his shirt, his feet barely touching the ground. I feared for Chase's life.

Dad's voice was always really deep, and his huge frame made most people run at the best of times; but now, seeing the anger in his piercing eyes, I was really scared and very disappointed that my first kiss had been cut short.

"Dad stop!!!" I yelled up at him, grabbing hold of his arm and trying to pry it off Chase's neck. I was one of the only people who would get up in his face. I whirled around to look for my mom; she would help me, right?

"Mom!" I screamed toward the group of onlookers.

Tonight, just happened to be a Saturday night in July, which always meant a party of some kind. This time, it was special: a family party, a hog roast, and barbecue, all in honor of my thirteenth birthday.

"David put the boy down! What happened?" Mom was now pulling on my dad's arm too.

My dad was growling in Chase's face; I had to hand it to him, Chase wasn't crying or freaking out at all. He was just dangling there, looking pissed.

Thankfully dad didn't really have him around the neck; it just looked like it. Really, my dad was a pretty gentle guy, unless it came to boys sniffing around me.

Chase wasn't just some guy, though. Growing up around the motorcycle club, we'd known each other all our lives. We spent so much time together, and I knew that there was more between us than just friendship. There was something about him, always had been. I didn't remember a time I didn't know that Chase would be mine.

My dad's face was a mask of fury as he moved even closer to Chase, they were almost nose to nose. The low growls murmured in his deep voice were unintelligible from where I stood, just a foot away, but obviously, Chase understood because he nodded several times and said, "Yes, sir."