A Friendship Interrupted

"Natasha, wait up!" I heard my best friend call after me, after school. I waited a whole hour before I finally decided to walk home.

It was getting dark and I was not in the mood to listen to another one of her excuses again, not today, so I carried on walking my dark brown hair blowing feriously in the wind.

"Tashy!!" Sarah called again, louder this time. I couldn't pretend to not hear her anymore, so I started walking slower, waiting for her to catch up.

"I don't want to hear it, Sar," I said, surprisingly calm, it was the third time this week that Sarah has been caught up inside doing God-knows what after telling me I could catch a ride with her. I can't be mad at her, it's my fault, I fell for it three times in a row.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, PATHETIC.

"But Tashy, he finally asked me out," Sarah all but whispered, twiddling her golden hair between her manicured fingers, her blue eyes sparkling.

I bit my lip, fighting the smile trying to break through. I can't show her how happy I am that Brian finally asked her.

"Yay you," I said sarcastically, "that still doesn't explain the hour I was waiting, Sar, you could have atleast texted me, I could have caught the bus or something," I lied, I probably would have waited, I would have been curious of the outcome.

"You're absolutely right!" Sarah said expressively, "I will so make it up to you, I promise!" she carried on, it's the same thing she said yesterday and the day before.

"I forgive you," I said softly, I shouldn't forgive her, but I can't help it, I just couldn't be mad at Sarah for longer than 2 minutes. Especially when she calls me Tashy, only Sarah would ever dare call me that, just like only I can call her Sar.

We've been best friends for years, eversince the day her mom passed away in Primary school, I was the only one she would speak to, and it just grew from there. We are inseperable, or atleast, we were until this week.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" she screamed, or rather squeeled, while jumping up and down, "So, since it's Friday, are you sleeping over at mine tonight? Then I'll tell you all about Brian, please?" I don't know why she's basically begging, I never declined an invitation to sleep at her place. My parents were always fighting and lately it's been getting rather physical.

Fast forward a couple of hours and I’m sitting in Sarah’s bedroom bored out of my skull while she’s talking to Brian on the phone. I should have know that this was going to happen, but this was better than my house, so I didn’t complain.

“I’m going to get supper, should I bring up some for you?” I finally said as I stood up.

“Nah, not hungry,” she barely looked at me, I sighed, this is going to be an awesome weekend. I went downstairs in my PJ’s. I’ve practically lived here the last year, Mr. Smith has seen me in a million different pairs and my hair in a lot worse conditions. I just went ahead and helped myself to a bowl of Coco Pops. I took the bowl and joined Mr. Smith in the lounge, not the first time I do this either. Sometimes I wonder if he’s more a friend than Sarah ever was.

“Sarah talking to another boy again?” he chuckled, patting the seat next to him.

“Mmmh,” I nodded with a mouth full of Coco Pops.

“Not exactly a balanced meal?” Mr. Smith said nodding towards my bowl, still smiling.

“Pot calling the kettle black?” I smiled back, nodding towards his empty Coco Pops bowl next to him. We burst out laughing.

“You know I can’t cook,” he said inbetween laughs. Yeah, I know very well, the last meal he cooked Sarah and I tried to feed to her dog, but even he wouldn’t even eat it, it was that bad.

“So what are you watching?” I asked, taking another bite of heaven.

“Like you don’t know it’s Criminal Minds, Baby girl,” he answered laughing at his hilarious Criminal Minds joke.

“Lol, have you not seen the sexual harrassment episode Mr. big hunk of six pack,” I came back fast, and yes, the word lol is actually in my vocabulary.

“Not yet, spoiler alert!” he shouted, hitting me over the head playfully with a couch cushing.

“Stop!” I giggled, blocking the hits with my arms. This was the nature of our relationship, we joked and giggled and watched crime drama’s while my best friend and his daughter was upstairs talking to the boyfriend of the month. He started to tickle me and before I could even begin to giggle we heard an ear peircing scream. We both jumped up and basically ran upstairs to see if Sarah is okay, she was. We walked downstairs in total confusion when we heard the scream again. It was the TV, lol, we completely forgot we’re watching Criminal Minds. When we realised this, we both burst out in giggles. We calmed down and tried to figure out the rest of the episode, with no luck, so we just watched the one after instead.

I felt too comfortable, I really didn’t want to wake up, but the commercials was so loud I really couldn’t stay asleep much longer. I snuggled deeper into the very hard pillow I was holding and tried to ignore the loud TV as best I could, but my pillow moved a bit, then stiffened.