Chapter Five

“Good morning, sweet Ella.” Ella did not even acknowledge Warren’s presence in her bedroom doorway as she continued to run her silver backed brush through her long red hair. He drifted across the room, the air seeming to become cooler as he neared her.

“I couldn’t help but notice that you disappeared again last night.” Warren’s long slender fingers closed over her hand and took the brush away. He paused momentarily before continuing the strokes through the long red tresses.

“I did not think you would realize I was gone.” Ella replied truthfully, meeting his gaze in the mirror. They were so different.

His skin was tanned and she was as pale as snow. Her hair a dark red and his black. His cheeks were gaunt and thin while hers were full and almost childlike. And their eyes…. His black, intense and full of evil malice. Hers a deep green, beautiful but lifeless.

“You’re not jealous, are you, Ella?”

“Sickened.” she replied coldly. It sickened her to think that those mortal women wanted Warren to touch them. Wanted him to bite them. What had happened in their short lives to make them so desperate?

Warren threw his head back and laughed deeply as he laid the brush on the dark cherry wood vanity.

“You are far too brooding. You need to learn how to enjoy life.” he said matter of factly as he grabbed Ella’s arm and pulled her to her feet. Ella went with the movement, having used up all the fight she had left some years before.

“Now, you need to begin obeying me, Ella. I told you not to be killing men so close to where we live.”

“Then you should have stopped me.” she replied with a shrug and Warran’s grip became painfully tight on her arm.

“Don’t push me, Ella. I am in a remarkably good mood this morning. I am feeling well refreshed and therefore very forgiving of your transgressions. Also I like knowing that my little pet has such a bloodthirsty nature.” Warren’s eyes darkened and his tongue moistened his thin lips as he looked up and down the length of her body.

Ella wished she had had time to pull on her robe before Warren had entered. Truth was she hadn’t expected him until after noon given his activities the night before. Instead she was wearing only her chemise, under shorts and corset. Her breasts were pushed up high and much of her pale skin was visible for his hungry eyes to feast on.

“Unfortunately, I must be leaving.” he admitted with a sigh. “I’m afraid that business is calling me away again and I will be gone for three days. I trust you’ll be here when I return?” There was no doubting the threatening edge in his voice or the warning in his dark eyes.

“You know I will be.” she replied simply, focusing on his narrow chest beneath the fancy white dress shirt and starched collar. Ella did not bother to ask what kind of business drew him away. Not only did she not care but Warren liked to keep his trips secret. Ella suspected he was going to look at new pets or perhaps simply going to sample blood elsewhere. Either way it got his hands off of her for a few days.

“And please, take a break from the murders before you bring a Hunter down on our heads. I will take you into Savannah when I return and you can kill to your hearts content for days.”

“How thoughtful.” Ella stated, though there was no venom or sarcasm in her voice. It had been a long time since Ella’s voice had held any emotion at all.

Warren hissed and his hand fell sharp across her face, leaving in its wake a stinging throb that resonated throughout her head. Ella refused to show her pain as she met his eyes.