Chapter Twenty

Brendon chose to ignore Grange and instead focused on Ella. She was crying, really crying, and that was something new. He’d seen her shed a few tears now and then but all out sobbing?

“Ella, talk to me, honey.”

“She was right. I’m a monster.”

“She?” Brendon asked with a frown. “Who is she and what did she say?” Grange shook his head when Brendon looked at him questioningly.

“I’ve been with you.” he replied. “It wasn’t my mate, I know that much. I think Dawn would sooner swallow her own tongue rather than make someone cry.”

“No.” Ella said, her hands gripping tighter to Brendon’s shirt as she tried to compose herself. “No, it wasn’t Dawn.”

“Ella, you gotta talk to me. I can’t make things better if I don’t know what’s wrong.” Brendon felt helpless and he didn’t do helpless well.

“I’m a whore.” Ella whispered and then her tears began to come harder as she clung to him.

“I’m gone.” Grange mumbled and he disappeared into the trees back toward his cabin.

“Why in the hell would you call yourself a whore?” Brendon demanded, fighting to hold back his temper.

“She was right. That’s what I am. That’s what I was for Faugrimm and his friends. That’s what I was for Warren and now it’s what I am for you.”

Brendon took her upper arms in his hands and shoved her away from her, holding her firmly and shaking her without even realizing what he was doing.

“Who the hell told you some fool thing like that?” he demanded angrily. Ella whimpered and Brendon realized what he was doing to her. He quickly released his hold on her arms and stepped back, removing his hat and shoving his hand roughly through his hair.

“I’m sorry.” he offered as he watched her staring at him with shock in her wide, red rimmed green eyes. Then he shook his head. “No, I’m not sorry. You needed to snap the hell out of it. You are not a whore.”

“Yes I am!” Ella insisted. “I’m a murdering whore. I killed my family! I let Faugrimm and all his men, anyone who wanted to, lay with me in order to save myself beatings. I did the same with Warren. And now I let you lay with me so you won’t leave me behind.”

Brendon felt as if he’d been punched in the chest. The blow was so strong and hurt so bad physically that he actually took several steps backward.

“It’s okay, Brendon.” Ella insisted. “Farrah was right. It is just what I am.”

“Farrah?” Brendon demanded. “Farrah put this idea in your head?”

“Yes, but….” Brendon had heard enough. Without another word he stormed away toward the cabin.

***

“Farrah, why in the world would you do that?” Trig demanded after everyone had overcome their shock of watching Ella run out the door. Farrah simply shrugged and looked uncomfortable as she picked at her arm.

“I didn’t like her reminding me of what I was. So I decided to remind her of what she was.”

“What’s wrong with Ella? Why was she crying? She doesn’t normally cry. She hadn’t even been that sad lately, even though she doesn’t smile. I think she really loves Brendon because ever since they started kissing each other she seems happier. So does he.” Maggie’s voice rambled on as she poked at Creed’s belly and made the boy coo with laughter. “Will Ella be okay?” Maggie asked, turning her dark eyes toward Dawn’s.