Chapter Twenty-Seven

Brendon kept his eyes glued to Ella’s pale face. She was shaking and her eyes kept looking into his, almost as if she was counting on him to save them.

God, how he wished he could.

“We will have order in this council room.” Alfred warned. “I will not tolerate another outburst, Brendon, is that understood?”

Brendon remained silent and turned his eyes back up to the council and away from Ella. Looking at her caused guilt to eat at his heart.

“Ella, you have been accused of the murder of countless mortal men, all innocents. You have also been accused of a much more serious crime. The murder of a Hunter. What do you have to say for yourself.”

“I already told you.” Brendon ground out. “I killed the vampire responsible for killing those men and I killed Vaughn.”

Farris pounded his gavel. “Guards!” Brendon’s breath left him in a rush and his vision blurred as the biggest guard, the half demon, slammed the handle of his axe into his gut.

Brendon’s legs wanted to give out but he forced himself to stay standing. Lack of food and sleep were taking a heavy toll on his physical abilities.

“Stop hitting him!” Ella screamed as a spear handle struck against his back and he hit his knees and then another cracked against his skull. Brendon knew these guards were angry with him for the way he had acted when they had gotten him from his cell this morning.

Apparently he had hurt their feelings.

The big babies.

Big babies with big sticks. Brendon’s head was spinning and he felt like throwing up as pain wracked his body. He could feel blood on the back of his head, soaking into his hair, and knew that his head had been split wide open.

“It’s nice to see Hunter Brendon finally showing the proper respect.” Farris replied haughtily and there were several murmurs of agreement from several other Councilmen. Brendon knew Farris was referring to the fact that he had fallen to his knees so with a big intake of breath to combat the pain, he pushed himself up, willing his weak legs to move as he rose to his feet and met Farris’s gaze head on.

A moment of satisfaction washed over Brendon when he saw some of that fear and uneasiness return to Farris’s eyes. Farris was going to die, and Brendon was going to kill him, even if it was the last thing he ever did, and he knew it more than likely would be.

“Brendon, you will refrain from speaking while we speak to the vampire.” Alfred warned and then he turned his weak, watery eyes to Ella.

“The time for confession is now. Are you truly going to make Brendon pay for the wrong that you did? Would you honestly put him through all that suffering and trouble?”

Brendon looked over at Ella and knew Alfred’s words had gotten to her. Tears were filling her pale green eyes and when he saw her open her mouth to speak he could no longer remain silent.

“Ella, don’t!” he yelled. “I’d do anything for you Ella!” The axe handle once again rammed into his stomach, driving him to his knees and shoving out his breath in a rush

“This ain’t no trouble, honey. I’d die for you.” A boot connected with his face and blood instantly coated his lips.

“I did it!” Ella exclaimed, her chains rattling and clanking as she held up her hands. “Please stop hurting him!”

“Be more specific, vampire. What did you do?”

“No…” Brendon gasped through the pain. His eyes were pleading with her to stop but she just shook her head sadly and then looked at Alfred.