Chapter Sixteen

Brendon remained motionless as he laid on the bed and watched her. She seemed tentative as she took small hesitant steps toward him.

“What are you doing here, Ella?” he asked quietly.

“You know why I’m here.” she replied without meeting his gaze. Instead her eyes had become locked on the area just below his belt and he could feel little Brendon coming alive at her interest.

“Are you sure, Ella? I won’t force you.”

“I know you won’t.” Brendon nodded and rose from the bed. He was hungry for a woman’s touch. Over a century he had been completely without the comforts that a woman’s body could provide because none had seemed to excite him; entice him.

Ella did.

Ella was a mystery. So scarred from her past. So lonely. Brendon wanted to heal her. He wanted to teach her that not all men were Warrens and Faugrimms.

While he couldn’t love her and he couldn’t be with her for any longer than tonight, maybe if he showed her how a different side to men, it would help her begin to heal.

“If you want me then you have to come to me, sweetheart.” he said softly as he held out a hand and crooked his finger, beckoning her toward him. If she wanted him then she would have to make the effort. Brendon would not do anything that could be confused with force or coercion when she looked back on this night.

It took all the self control Brendon had to hold still as she took tentative steps toward him, her feet moving far too slow for his liking. After what seemed like long agonizing hours, Ella was close enough that his body could feel the heat from her body.

“Kiss me again.” she whispered, her voice a tantalizing mix of hunger and worry. It was clear to Brendon that she wasn’t really sure of herself or what she was doing.

Hell Brendon was out of practice himself.

He gently slid his finger beneath her chin, raising her face with his knuckle and looking deeply into her light green eyes. Eyes that looked different somehow than they had when he had first gazed in to them. They no longer seemed so dead and emotionless as they had that day.

Instead, Brendon could see a spark of passion inside of them. A longing and a trust that very nearly floored him. She trusted him.

It was almost enough to make him stop, knowing that he was only going to be leaving her before first light but he was only a man after all and he needed her tonight.

She was made for him and he for her. He knew that together they could be amazing and he was determined to have a taste of that before returning to his life as the Council’s puppet.

Without wasting another second on doubts or worries, Brendon laid his lips against Ella’s and drank in her sweetness.