Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Zander was glad when he was back home and away from Lena’s tense glares. He had suffered through dinner for Mel because Anthony had gotten her to come out of her room and she had asked that he stay and not let her sister’s attitude shoo him away. Mel was a pro at reading him and Zander wasn’t surprised with just one look she knew Lena was getting on his nerves.

Without her boyfriend to distract her Lena was taking out all her anger and frustration out of him. He thought if he shut up and ignore her she’d eventually get bored and leave him alone but nope. It had been a long evening to suffer through that’s for sure.

He got ready for bed and quickly fell asleep.

Lena was in a bad mood and didn’t care who knew it. She pushed past Mel on the way to the kitchen for something in the form of breakfast.

“I’m glad to see you’re having a good morning.” Mel grumbled from behind her.

“You’re going to school?” Lena noticed her twin wasn’t in pajamas anymore.

“Yeah I can’t afford to miss any more lessons.”

“Is that code for you’re such a big dork you actually miss hearing the teachers go on and on?” she grabbed one of her mother’s breakfast bars and made quick time opening, she was hungry and it wasn’t like her boyfriend was paying her any attention that she needed to stay in shape. She reached for the fridge next to find something else more filling.

“What the hell has gotten into you? It’s the freaking morning and I haven’t done anything to piss you off. I’ve been in bed sick so whatever is going on isn’t my fault so shut up.”

“Yes it is your fault!” she slammed the fridge closed and faced her twin. “Zander is always hanging around here pining after you and I hate that guy!” her sour mood had everything to do with Zander Kale. She couldn’t believe how he kept thinking he knew something about what she felt, something about her life when he was just…she didn’t know the answer to that anymore because in a lot of ways he was right when he read her.

“I don’t like your friends either but I don’t bitch to you twenty-four seven either. You’ve been low key lately what happened now that you’re yelling at me about Zander? You were on his case pretty bad last night.” Mel walked over to an empty stool and sat before she keeled over, she was going to school but she was still obviously sick.

“It’s his own fault. I know you don’t believe me but he’s always starting something.” She spun back around and started to make a sandwich.

“Why so hungry, pregnant?”

“You’re so not funny. People have to have sex to get pregnant, I should be asking you that question since you and Tony are on each other like rabbits.” She turned around in time to see her sister go beet red.

“Shut up.”

“And you talk about my come backs sucking.”

They finished up in the kitchen and left the house together. Most people didn’t believe it but Lena actually loved her sister and sometimes even liked her. They were night and day from style to personality but they were family even when they were screaming and trying to kill each other. With Mel still nursing a bad cough Lena offered to give her a ride to school so she wouldn’t walk like she normally opted for.

Mel was wary but in the end accepted the offer.

At school Zander noticed Mel as he was leaving the parking lot. He turned around and said to his friend, “You should’ve told me you were coming. I could’ve picked you up.”

“Lena offered.” Mel explained with still some disbelief lining her tone.

Zander cast a look of surprise her way. “Really?”

With a roll of her eyes Lena left the loser best friends alone. It wasn’t as if she needed them or that their constant need to expect the worse from her wore thin on her nerves. She was a bitch, she knew it and accepted it. Period.

At her locker her absentee boyfriend came to stand next to her. “Hey, babe.”

Lena chuckled flatly with a need to tell him off but her true words stayed silent. “Hey.” It wasn’t worth it to cause a big fight and get him angry, it wasn’t like it could change the past.

“Are you free after school?” he asked.

“I’m meeting up with Karen at the mall.” She finished putting her bag away and closed her locker. She busied her hands closing the lock and twisting the dial to avoid looking at him. She couldn’t shake her disappointment over what was happening between them lately. It was as if all they did was fight when they could actually find a moment to be together.

“Skip it.” Andy urged her. “I’m free after school and we can catch up.” When he wanted to hang out with his friends or stay locked up in his room playing video games she had to bit the bullet and deal with it but when she wanted to do something with her friends he wanted her to skip it. Such a gentleman, she thought grimly. A jerk she was in love with.

The bell rung. “Sure.” She said quickly before rushing into the hallway for home room. Outside the door she took a shuddering breath and tried not to let the state of her relationship continue to affect her emotions. They could keep trying to kid themselves but their relationship was over. Now it was time to suck it up and cut the last strings holding them together.

After the other students went ahead of her Lena finally stepped inside the classroom. She noticed quickly Zander’s teal eyes watching her. Just great, she thought numbly as she sat in one of the empty desks up front. Her sister’s best friend was getting way too close, he could look at her and figure out every deepest thought clouding her mind. It wasn’t fair because when she looked at him she was just plain clueless.