Chapter 12

Chapter 12

That following Saturday morning Lena found herself looking for Zander. He always came to the house to mooch off breakfast and to hang out with Mel—who kept her mornings free to hang out with her best friend and her evenings were left for her boyfriend.

Lena sighed at how ironic the situation was. Her dorky twin had a solid relationship while she was struggling at the end steps of her own. Lena wasn’t fooling herself anymore, she and Andy were never going to last and it was just time to make it official.

After searching the kitchen and finding it empty of any moochers, Lena went up to her sister’s room to investigate. With a quick knock she let herself in. Mel was laid out on her bed with her CD player on top of her stomach. Mel hadn’t evolved yet and bought an MP3 player.

Mel pulled off her headphones and asked, “Yeah?”

“Where’s Zander? Isn’t he always camped out with you on the weekends?” Lena tried to make it seem like she was asking because she was bored and not actually curious about the answer but her twin was a genius and saw right past that.

Mel’s eyebrows rose, she sat up in bed, and studied her sister. “Why do you care where Zander is?”

Lena shrugged. “I’ve gotten used to him hanging around and clinging to the girl he can’t have, I guess. It’s fun entertainment.” There now that answer sounded right. 

The mention of Zander’s crush on Mel always got her uncomfortable and all her curiosity fell to the wayside. “I guess I was still contagious because he’s been sick with the flu for the last two days and he’s not leaving his house. You’re going to have to watch TV for entertainment like the rest of us.”

Lena scoffed and put on her best bitch face. “I have real friends, more than one, that I can go hang with.” She walked away and frowned at how big of a lie that simple sentence was. Staying away from Andy meant staying away from the girls because they dated Andy’s friends and all hung out together. There was no place for her in that crowd anymore and it was a bitter fact she was getting used to because she was no longer willing to stay with Andy in order to stay friends with a group of people who didn’t really know or respect her.

Stopping in her room, Lena grabbed her purse and jacket. It was time to take a trip.

At Zander’s house she tried the door first and found it locked. She rang the doorbell a few times next. “Zander? Open up!” she rang the doorbell again.

“Hold on!” His voice was muffled as he came down the hallway and neared the front door. “What do you want anyway?”

Lena sighed as she waited for him to get the lock undone. “Open the door first.”

He groaned and opened the door slowly. “Locks are tricky when you feel like death. What are you doing here?” he leaned into the door as he spoke with a nasally tone, he really did look like death with dark circles around his eyes.

“Mel asked me to check on you.” Lena pushed past him and inside the house. “Holy crap, you’re hot.”

“Thank you.”

Zander stood in front of her shirtless and when she moved past him her hand brushed his chest. His skin was hot enough she was tempted to grab an egg and find out if it’d cook. “You know what I mean. Have you taken something to help with the fever?”

“I’ve taken a whole lot of stuff.” Zander started back to his bedroom and left Lena to follow. “Why would Mel send you?”

“I was on my way out.”