The Vampires Pet - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I sat up confused. 

There was a fire burning with some sort of animal roasting over the the burning flames licking the food. Luke was sitting poking the embers, keeping it hot. 

"How?" It was all I could make out. 

"Theres an old cabin just over there," Luke pointed across the small river. "It's not safe to inhibit because the roof looks like it's about to cave in. But I did manage to find these sleeping bags in one of the closets. It looks as though some hikers have left them there ages ago."

I fingered the sleeping bag, not knowing what to say.

Looking towards Luke, I noticed he'd stood up.

I watched him warily as he ripped a peice of his shirt,walked down to the little river and dipped it in water. Slowly he came back and then handed the wet fabric to me. 

I gave him a confused look.

"You have dried blood on your neck," He explained.

"Oh," Quickly, I began scrubbing at my neck. "Thanks."

"You're welcome."

I scrubbed until Luke confirmed that the blood had gone. While he watched the food on the fire, I went down to the small river to wash my face.

At least I felt a little bit better once I felt cleaner. As I walked back to where he set up camp, I wondered about Erica. 

My troubled expression caused Luke to ask, "What's the matter?"

"Erica," I murmured.

His strong brows came together. "What about her?"

"Where is she?"

"William has her," He murmured, poking the fire. 

It didn't answer my question, "Yes, but where is she?"

"At the Linconshire Estate." Luke replied.

"How?" I just felt all the more confused. 

"Oh," Luke grinned, "William has the ability to materialize in places, though it causes him alot of pain."

"So why couldn't he come back for us?"

"He'll be writhering in agony for days." Luke answered, his voice soft. "The experience is excrutiating. And he also transported Erica with him, so, I'm getting he's hurting... Alot."

"Oh," I nodded, kind of understanding. "So long as she is safe I guess."

"Yeah,"

Silence broke out between us again.

The setting sun gently became a deep blue, turning to the darkest of blacks. The only light came from the stars and the fire. The hissing of the fire became the only noise along with the sing-song of the crickets and the dancing song of the river.

"I'm actually half vampire and half werewolf." Luke murmured. I could tell by his tone that he was touchy about the subject. 

But I couldn't stop myself from asking, "How does that work?" 

He smiled slightly, "It was a long time ago. Around two hundred years ago, actually."

"Two hundred?" I still found it difficult to stop all of this jaw-dropping, mouth wide open, eyes full of surprise business. Situations like this gave a girl a full pass to exceed these kinds of things!