Chapter Twenty-Five

I didn't know how long we stayed on the beach, wrapped in each other's arms. I would have stayed there all night if I hadn't started yawning involuntarily. I was suddenly overcome with exhaustion. So much had happened, this day felt more like a week.

Ryan noticed and whisked me up into his arms. "Come on, let's get you to bed, Lily."

I squealed as my feet left the ground, but then groaned when my head started spinning. Ryan quickly put me back down on solid ground. Bending over at the waist, I tried to regain my balance as waves of nausea flowed over me. I reached out my hand, steadying myself on Ryan's arm.

"You okay?" he asked with a touch of concern in his voice.

Smiling weakly, I nodded. "Too many shots. This is why I never get drunk,"

"Alright, I'll help you back," Ryan locked his arm around my waist and half-walked/half-pulled me up the beach.

I concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other, dragging them across the gritty sand. Leaning against Ryan's hard chest, I let myself inhale his scent. For five years, I'd been angry with him, never letting myself wish for even a second that I've have a moment like this with him again. But now that I was here, it was better than I could have ever imagined. Sighing with contentment, I could feel Ryan's whole body smile as he pulled me closer.

We shuffled onto the street and down a few blocks back to the hotel. A vague thought of the bachelorette party flitted through my head and I mumbled something to Ryan about texting the girls. He pulled out his phone with his free hand and let them know I was safe. My head pounded, thinking about the fallout I'd deal with tomorrow when they realized the text had come from Ryan's phone. I could practically hear them squealing already.

Ryan released his hold on me when we got into the elevator. Slumping against the side, I rested my forehead on my knees to stop the incessant spinning.

"I'm guessing this isn't how you pictured our first night back together?" I looked up at him.

His face softened. "Sunshine Girl, I've wanted this for so long. I'll take you anyway I can."

"It's so good to hear you call me that again." I felt my whole body warm from within.

The elevator dinged and Ryan held out his hands, helping me back up. After quite a bit of fumbling around in my purse for my room key, Ryan finally stepped in and easily got us into the room.

Stumbling across the floor, I fell face first onto the bed, moaning at how good it felt. "I want to live in this bed," my voice muffled by the fluffy blankets.

"I could get on board with that idea." I felt Ryan's weight sink into the mattress next to me. He ran the tips of his fingers over my forehead and down my back.

"As tempting as that sounds," I said, "we should probably wait until I don't see two of you when I open my eyes."

Ryan laughed quietly. "Don't worry, Lily, I would never take advantage of you like that." He planted a soft kiss on my cheek.

"I know you wouldn't," I responded. "Alright, I better get cleaned up before I fall asleep in my clothes." I heaved myself off the bed, steadying myself on Ryan's arm until the spinning subsided. "I'm gonna hop in the shower real quick."

"I'll take that as my cue to go."

"No Ryan, I want you to stay with me tonight." Placing my hand on his cheek I looked deeply into his eyes. "Is that okay?"