six.

The next morning at school, Pete is sitting at their table, waiting for them. And so is his girlfriend, Ashlee.

Who Patrick is positive is now his new enemy.

"Hey, guys!" Pete calls out to them. "I hope you don't mind Ash and I sitting here."

Joe and Ray look at Patrick, waiting for him to answer Pete. "Yeah, sure, that's fine." He sits across from Pete, Joe and Ray sitting on either side of him.

Ashlee gives Patrick a dirty look but smiles at his friends. "I'm Ashlee." She holds her hand out to Joe first, who shakes it, then Ray, who kisses it, and finally Patrick, who just fist bumps her. She obviously doesn't like him for some reason, so he's not going to waste his time pretending to like her.

"I'm gonna go get some food. Anyone wanna come with?" Patrick asks, and Pete immediately stands up.

"I'll go. I haven't eaten all day." Pete says, but Ashlee isn't having it. She grabs his jersey, the one that he basically never took off all throughout high school. It's a blue jersey with red stripes, and it has Messi and the number 10 written on the back for the FC Barcelona player.

"Baby, won't you stay with me? I'm sure Patrick would get you something." Ashlee bats her pretty little eyelashes, the ones that usually have Pete falling over himself to keep her happy. But not this time.

"Ash, Patrick's got to get his own food. I'll only be a minute. Why don't you get to know the guys?" Pete says, gesturing to Joe and Ray.

Ashlee pouts, but Pete goes with Patrick to the food lines. Patrick — one, Ashlee — zero.

"So, do you play any sports?" Pete asks as they walk to the lines.

"Baseball, and I play a bit of hockey. I'm not very good at hockey, though." Patrick says, thanking one of the lunch ladies when she hands him a tray with the plate lunch on it. Pete does the same.

"Nice. I play soccer, but I'm mostly a theatre nerd." Pete says, and Patrick nods, as if he didn't already know.

"So, how long have you been with Ashlee?" Patrick asks as they make the journey back to their seats. It's a question he actually doesn't know the answer to, which is a stray away from the new norm.

"Uh, like around a year? I've got to check my calendar, but if I'm remembering right, our one year should be coming up before the end of this month." Pete says, and Patrick smirks. If he doesn't even know their anniversary, maybe they aren't that serious. "Hey, I don't like that smirk. Don't tell me you're crushing on my girl."

Patrick barks out a laugh, one loud enough to catch the attention of the people sitting at the tables they are passing by. "Fuck no, dude. Definitely not."

Pete smiles back, biting his bottom lip. "Good, because one of Ashlee's friends thinks you're cute. She told me to talk her up, actually."

Patrick's eyebrows furrow, and he looks in amusement at the table Pete and his crew usually sit at. Sure enough, one of the girls with black, curly hair is staring at him. He winks when he catches her, making her blush and look back down at her food.

"Yao?" Patrick asks, although he already knows the answer. She's a cheerleader, one that Patrick had a crush on before he met Pete. Before he realised he was gay.

"Yeah. How'd you know?" Pete asks as they sit back down with Joe, Ray, and Ashlee.

"Just a guess. You think I should ask her out?" Patrick says, continuing their conversation. Joe gives him a look when they make eye contact, like you're going to ask her out?

"For sure, man. We could double date, actually." Pete suggests. The words double date catch Ashlee's attention, and she snaps her head up to make eye contact with Patrick and narrow her eyes at him.

"You told him about Elisa." She says, a smile coming to her face. It makes sense. She thinks her relationship with Pete can't be threatened if Patrick has a girlfriend of his own.

"I did. And I think he may ask her out. Tell me, what do we have planned for tonight?" Pete asks, and Ashlee shrugs.

"Nothing, that I know of. We could eat dinner and then hang out at my house and watch a few movies. Sound good to you?" Ashlee directs the question at Patrick, but Pete doesn't seem to notice.

"Perfect. Go ask her out, Lunchbox." Pete says, and the familiar — yet also not so familiar — nickname has Patrick looking up at him so fast, he thinks he'll get whiplash.

"Lunchbox?" Ray says, breaking his silence since the other boys have been back at the table.

"New nickname." Pete says nonchalantly, and Patrick can see the way Ashlee's jaw clenches in annoyance.

"It's a little odd." Joe says, and most of the people at the table agree. "What do you think, Patrick?"

"I love it." Patrick answers, which brings a smile to Pete's face. "I'll be back, I'm going to talk to Elisa."

He stands up abruptly then, making his way over to the girl, whose friends immediately stop talking as soon as they realise he's coming over. He sits at the table next to theirs, facing Elisa.

"Hey." He says, and Elisa blushes again when she turns to face him. "You know, you're pretty cute." Patrick cringes inwardly at his attempts to flirt.

Elisa seems to like what he has to say, though, if the way she's leaning closer to him is any indication. "You think so?" She asks shyly, and Patrick could, odd enough, see him dating this girl. That is, if he was attracted to her gender.

"I really do." The corner of Patrick's mouth tugs into a small smile as he realises maybe his flirting isn't half bad. "Pete, Ashlee, and I were going to hang out tonight. Want to join?"

Immediately, her table erupts in gasps and whispers, causing Elisa to turn around and glare at them briefly before turning back to face Patrick. "I'd love to. Text me the details?" She asks, and a pen magically appears in her hand, the person handing it to her being none other than Hilary Wentz.

She writes her number on his forearm, and he sets back off to his table, leaving Elisa with a wink. Pete and the rest of the guys congratulate him when he gets back, showing off the number.

Now all he has to do tonight is make Pete realise that he isn't at all attracted to Elisa, and the only person Patrick has his eye set on is Pete himself.

woo updateeee

how do u guys like this ?