Chapter 3: Under the Surface?

BAILEY

"Dad, I'm going out now!" I shouted from outside, then whirled around to look up at our rundown house. I released a weary breath before twisting about to start my day. I tightened my hand around the strap of my shoulder bag, fully determined to find what I should look for.

It was a beautiful unclouded day. The summer breeze was tenderly brushing my coffee-colored hair –— a perfect time of a day to find an essential job.

Even though the school gave me a scholarship for being one of the top students and one of the members of the student council, I required extra money to help my Dad from supporting our family. Since my mother died of cancer, my father went into depression and almost broke what was left of us. He became an alcoholic man and was hardly at home, leaving me alone with my three-year-old little brother. 

Our life was good before and I could wish for anything I wanted but my father made one of the biggest mistakes in his life by selling his own company. I couldn't blame him for that mistake though. He was coping with my mother's passing and made a terrible decision. It must be so painful to see half of your life, slowly dying in a hospital. My Mom didn't want me to stay. She didn't want me to see her getting weaker by the minute. So I had no idea what my Dad went through at that time. I just wished I wouldn't experience that horrible moment with someone I would be willing to spend the rest of my life with.

Soon my father realized his mistake and decided to have a fresh life by moving back to his hometown when I was in eighth grade. And I was glad that we did even though it was hard sometimes for me. You know, working part-time and upholding my grades at the same time, including being a part of the cheerleading team and constructing my own reputation in the school.

I had to because I didn't want to experience the bullying again. I was a big nerd before with thick nerd glasses on my face. They were always calling me four-eyes, and usually, the popular crowds were the one who was constantly making fun of me and it got shoddier when my family was crumbling down. 

However, when we decided to move out from our previous lives, I changed myself and beginning a brand new life gave me a boost of confidence. I could pretend as someone that isn't weak and dumb but sometimes it was taking a toll on me. I wouldn't be here starting to find a new job because my previous boss almost sexually harassed me so I quit of my own accord. Everything had its own consequences, indeed. But it was so much better than being a nobody.

I watched the car pass by the road as I grimaced at myself. I missed the second-hand car that my Dad bought for me and it was now in a junk shop, probably been crushed flat already. Thinking of that made me snicker in annoyance because I didn't know how I could get to school if I didn't have a car. And that meant, I must prepare an excuse for my friends. My life outside the school was a huge secret and I managed to keep the fact that I was a poor girl attending an elite school, full of rich students.

Of course, I knew it was overdramatic but I wanted it to stay that way. I was enjoying being a part of the higher student society and I wouldn't risk myself falling down the stairs I built with so much effort for years. Nonetheless, I remained under my cheerleading captain's throne, which was not a problem for me because she really deserved it.  Well, sort of.

I took a cab and headed to a part of town where I could find a decent job and also miles away from our school and from the main city. I knew it was going to be hard but still, I wanted to try my luck.

Getting off the park, I looked around, raising my hand over my eyes to cover the bright rays of the sun. Kids were playing around in the green field when I found an ice cream booth at the corner, beside an old ass tree. I walked across the road and saw a coffee shop full of customers.