Chapter 4: In the Corner of Her Lips!

Tiana

"C'mon, Pillow!" I yelled, sprinting towards the field. The breeze hit my face as I ran faster, knowing my dog was already behind me. Pillow barked twice. His paws were beating on the ground as he dashed enthusiastically.

"Okay, I-I give up," I said, releasing arduous breaths after I halted running. Spotting a bench under a tree, I sat on it and leaned backward. Looking up, the sky was spotless and so blue. The summer sun stared down at me, giving me a warm sensation. Strangely, my husky baby seemed to enjoy the heat as he sat down by my feet. His tongue was panting steady breaths and then he looked up at me.

I curved down to pat his head, his snowy fur was so fluffy and soft like a pillow and he purred at my gentle touch. "Do you think Nyx is already up?"

He softly whimpered in response.

"First things first, I need some cone of ice cream. Second, your friends are missing you, certainly,  so we really have to stop over. And then we have to get the food supplies for our little family or else we might starve to death. Do you want that?"

Pillow just looked at me causing my brows to draw together. We just exchanged a glance for a second before I sprinted quickly from my seat.

"Gotcha!" I laughed, looking over my shoulder. He was flabbergasted for a moment before he immediately leaped up and chased after me.

We jogged around the park first before we went to the ice cream booth beside a massive tree. Bob already gave me a smile as soon as he saw us approaching. "Hey, Bob. How's the business doing?"

He shrugged his shoulder. "Always business. The usual?"

I nodded, so he started to prepare my vanilla-flavored ice cream with a special Hershey's crumble topping over it. I waited while I watched my dog tailing his own tail. Once he got tired, he just sat beside me and began to lick his fur while wagging his tail.

Pillow was the quiet one among my dogs. Nyx, his daughter, was grumpy sometimes but would always sleep during the day. And his wife, Allona, was the one who always jump on me whenever she was excited or missing me. They were my little family of huskies with my Persian cat, Damascus, who always hide around and then crawled back on the bed silently beside me at night. And among my pets, my tortoise, Tala, was the quietest of all. Of course, and a slowpoke too.

"By the way, there was this girl who came here looking for a job," Bob chimed in my train of thought causing my head to turn at him. "Zoey mentioned before that you need an extra hand so I told her to come to the shop."

He handed me my ice cream and I paid for it. "Thanks, Bob. We really need extra help.  There are so many pets being abandoned in the street nowadays due to dumb people, not to mention that every month, there is always someone who give their pet to our charity because of their lack of satisfaction.

I sighed and added, "Our pet room is nearly full. Zoey will transfer to our school with me and Cole will start college soon so we won't have much time to take care of all of them. At least, we have Barbara and Liam to do it but we need someone who can take care of the shop during weekends so that they can get their day off."

Bob smirked, then gave me thumbs up. "I'm sure she's hired. She has this confident but caring energy that I believe Barbara would notice firsthand."

"Then let's see," I acknowledged and finished my cone of ice cream. "See you later, Bob."

He nodded in return as I stormed off. Pillow automatically followed behind me.

The Woodley pet shop owner was me. My Grandma was the one who established it before my Grandpa met her. Instead of changing it to Hartley which was my family name, I preferred to keep the store name that way in memories of my Grammy. Tala was her pet when she was still with us but due to oldness, she'd gone in my arms, wishing that I should take care of her little turtle and her shop. So I took Tala with my already growing family and promised to take really good care of her. Sometimes, she would become my priority among my pets which Damascus didn't like much. That grumpy, jealous cat almost clawed Tala inside her home. I was supposed to punish him by locking him in the cage for a week. However, being a pet lover, I only kept her inside for a day. Since that day, he never bothered Tala anymore.