Not a Child

CRACK!

They landed at the end of the driveway before Ignatus's house, Dora's hands clutching their elbows. She pushed them forward. "Go, get inside," and turned, setting up a shield around the property. When James started to step forward to help, she snapped, "I said to get inside. And wait for me in the living room."

James looked surprised at the sharp tone of her voice and he turned to Sirius, who was already headed for the door. Sirius shrugged. They went in the door and found Maria back already, the little old woman from San Jose with her, looking equally confused and comforted as Maria presented her with food. Her arthritic knuckles gripped her chain of beads and, up close, James saw it was a muggle rosary. She'd been praying.

James sighed and followed Sirius out to the living room, dropping onto the couch. Sirius was leaning against the mantle, grinning. "What are you so happy about?" James asked.

Sirius answered, "Not a thing..."

James said, "I didn't do anything wrong, I don't understand why she's angry with me."

Sirius shrugged. Then, "So... anything happen on your walk with Alma?"

"No," James replied. "She's gay by the way."

"Brilliant," Sirius answered.

"Dunno if that's the word I'd use for it, seeing as I found out just as I was about to make a move, you know..." James said.

Sirius was grinning even harder - if that was possible. "Even more brilliant."

"Knock off," James replied and he chucked one of the cushions from the sofa Sirius's way. But Sirius was too quick, drew his wand from the knot of hair at the back of his head, and redirected the pillow back at James.

Of course it was this moment that Dora walked through the door. Sirius scrambled to get the pillow before it hit the floor.

She stared from one of them to the other with disapproval. "You're both in loads of trouble," she announced.

"What did I do?" Sirius asked, straightening up.

"MARMALADE?"

Sirius grinned.

"MARMALADE?" Dora repeated. "You're facing --- you're facing dark wizards --- wizards actively trying at killing you and you -- you spray them with MARMALADE?"

Sirius replied, "Found themselves in a sticky situation, you could say."

"IT ISN'T FUNNY SIRIUS ORION!" she shouted, "YOU COULD'VE BEEN KILLED! YOU WERE PLAYING PRACTICAL JOKES WHEN YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN PERFORMING DEFENSIVE MAGIC AND IT ISN'T FUNNY!"

Sirius shrank back at the sound of his first and middle name and swallowed back his surprise, "I - I'm sorry, blimey."

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

"That it would stop them," Sirius said honestly. He was looking a bit like a wounded animal and Dora's eyes softened as a result. "I mean -- it - it did, didn't it? They were stopped and Mr. P was able to incarcerate them and..."

"Yes," Dora replied, her voice much gentler. James was looking between them as though watching a tennis match. "But Sirius - that was a very serious situation, don't you understand? You can't be playing about with silly jokes when --"

"It's just I think of those spells faster!" Sirius piped up. "I know them better than the defensive stuff. I - I think of them quicker and... I mean, if it works..."

Dora stared at him very sternly, then, her voice even and firm, "You'll practice defense twice as hard, then. I want you studying it now, even on summer. Do you understand? Until the defensive spells come to you just as quickly as your jokes."