Try Not to Tear Up, Potter

Lily tugged James so he would bend down for her to whisper in his ear. "Did you remember the locket?" she asked, her voice worried.

James nodded, "It's in my rucksack." 

"Thank Merlin," Lily breathed in relief. "We simply must destroy it - right after we've got all our Headboy and girl duties completed tonight, alright?"

"Alright," James said, who was thinking he was rather eager to get Lily down into the alcove off the Trophy Room Passageway, where they'd discussed ditching the locket at. He grinned stupidly, thinking of the little couch and the low blue-bell lights in the jars down there, and how soft Lily Evans's -- "Wait, hold on," James said suddenly, stopping walking a second time. Lily turned to face him, a question in her eyes. "Ali Prewitt doesn't know about you and I," he said.

Lily said, "Well, I'm sure you'll tell her everything the moment we're back to the table, won't you?" She started to turn and head on to Gryffindor table.

"Evans," James said, and she turned back to him.

"Potter?"

"Don't you want to tell her?"

Lily shrugged, "I mean - it seems to be your thing. Telling people. Doesn't it?" She turned away again, headed for Gryffindor table.

James glanced back over his shoulder and he saw Severus Snape glaring at him darkly, and he glared back a moment before hurrying after Lily. "It's just that -- well, you haven't told anyone at all," he pointed out. "I told Hagrid and the lads and I told the Prefects on the Express, and I told McGonagall..."

Lily said, "So?"

"So... aren't you excited about... about me?" James gave her a charming smile.

"Of course I am," she replied. They'd reached the table and she sat down on the bench between James's spot and Ali, who looked at her with wide, questioning eyes.

"WELL HELLO LILY EVANS," Ali said, grinning, "HOW WAS YOUR SUMMER?" Her eyes flickered between James and Lily.

Lily looked at James, "You said she didn't know."

"Well," James said, "She might've figured something out."

Ali said, "Girl! Why didn't you floo me the moment it happened? I positively hate you for not telling me!"

Lily replied, "Well, we were a bit busy immediately after it happened."

"D - e -t - a - i - l - s," begged Ali.

Lily waved at the food, "May I eat really quickly and then I'll tell you everything? It's just that I'm really hungry and dinner's about to be gone --" As though she'd willed it to be, the dinner disappeared, replaced by sweets for dessert. She sighed.

James nudged her and gave her half his potato that he'd grabbed before the dinner had gone and half the roast he'd plopped onto his plate as well. "Here, we can share," he offered, reaching for a tart as well, even as he suggested it.

"Thanks," Lily answered.

Ali nudged her, "Tell me, tell me, tell me!"

"Later, upstairs," Lily replied.

James glanced at Lily as she put butter on her potato. "I sort of want to hear your version of it, too," he said, smirking.

Lily looked at him. "What happened to you thinking you were starving to the point of death? That's what you were saying the entire time we were over there waiting for the sorting to end." She pointed with her fork to where they'd been standing.

Sirius spoke up, "James is always starving to the point of death."

James nodded, "You knew this about me before we got involved."