Bombs They Build

In our room, I got undressed immediately with Ghoul. We just laid together in the warmth of the blankets, enjoying each other's presence. In this home we made for ourselves, I could pretend there weren't people out there to try to kill us. It was as if there were never bombs dropped or radiation or death. I imagined the rain falling on the roof was absolutely normal and the plants outside weren't dying. I could almost see the green grass growing again.

Our kisses were soft. Our whispers were quiet. In the dark we melted together and became one.

"Adelaide." Ghoul whispered my name, his breath warm on my cheek.

"Yes?" I asked.

         "Are we the bad guys?"

          I was taken aback by his question. "Of course not! Why would you ask that?"

          "Am I a bad person?" He whispered into the darkness.

         "You haven't done anything remotely bad! What the hell are you talking about?" I tried to focus on his features.

The large storm was over us now and the thunder shook our room. Ghoul rolled onto his back, untangling himself from me. He didn't say anything for a long time, leaving me to believe he was asleep. His sudden existential crisis left me shocked and left to contemplate alone. 

Just as I began to fall asleep, Poison burst into our room.

"Get up and dressed. Grab your guns. It's an emergency."

I pulled the blankets around me and sat up.

"What the fuck?" Ghoul asked sleepily.

"Riot in Bat City. The pigs are thinking about dropping a bomb in the desert to kill us all."