The Light Behind Your Eyes (Epilogue)

Weeks passed and I grew stronger. The injury made it almost impossible for me to move without screaming in pain and passing out for the first few days. Ghoul stayed by my side everyday. He stayed awake with me, holding my hand. Sometimes his voice would break and he would almost begin to cry. He would go on about how he was so scared of losing me. I promised him I wasn't going anywhere. I kept my promise.

After the incident with the riot, things went back to normal. We lost a lot of Killjoys. A lot. We stopped listening to Dr. D talk about the casualties on the radio because it just made us sad.

"We need to focus on the future." Poison told us as he turned off the radio. "The future is bulletproof."

Rocket visited me when she could. She brought me my favorite drink and made me laugh with silly stories about where she worked. Rocket became one of my best friends.

And for Ghoul and I's relationship?

He took my hand and guided me to the roof. He told me to close my eyes. I giggled at the thought of a surprise. Ghoul's surprises were always the best.

"Open your eyes." He told me.

Ghoul had some how managed to get a table and two chairs up on the roof. In the middle of the table sat a vase of roses and two plates. All around the table were vases and vases of beautiful flowers that usually didn't grow in the desert. I was amazed by their beauty. Their scent filled the air.

Ghoul walked me over to a chair and he sat across from me. We ate a romantic dinner while watching the sunset. It was truly the cutest thing he had ever done for me. We chatted about mundane things. Suddenly, Ghoul changed the subject.

"Phoenix. You are the most beautiful woman in the whole world." He said.

I laughed and blushed. "Thank you, but I'm afraid I'm not even close."

Ghoul shook his head and smiled. He got up from the table and came to my side. He helped me to my feet and looked into my eyes.

"Do you remember the first day we met?" He asked me.

"How could I forget it? It was the day that changed my life." I replied.

"I held out my hand to you. You took my hand. And now," Ghoul reached into his pocket, holding something shiny. "I want to take yours.

He got down on one knee. "Phoenix, will you marry me?"

THE END

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING! I love you all so much!

Phoenix and Ghoul will appear in the next installment.