Chapter 13

"I think that's the last of it." Audrey smiled triumphantly.

Taking one last look at my completely emptied apartment I nodded, knowing it was for the best. I carried out the last shoe box of things I refused to let Audrey see; my diary, some old embarrassing photographs of myself, and of course, my, stash.

"Aren't you glad you don't have to come home to this anymore?" She giggled doing a twirl around the rather run down hallway, causing the floorboards to squeak beneath her.

Shrugging I examined my surroundings for what would be the last time before I moved in with Audrey.

"It was nice to be able to live on my own for awhile." I bit my lip looking back to her.

She grinned sympathetically.

"You'll be back on your feet in no time Charlie, I'll make sure of it." She nodded reassuringly.

I smiled for a moment before falling deeply into thought. I felt extremely uneasy about all the change going on, and it didn't help that Paul kept on calling my flat even after Audrey had talked to him, until she finally decided to disconnect the line.

We both got into the elevator, Audrey immediately looking like she had something she wanted to ask me about.

"So, you're really going to give Oliver a second chance?" She looked apprehensive about my decision.

"I guess so." I nodded feeling weary about it myself. The more I thought about going out with him the more I feared it, I couldn't be sure if he had been telling the truth at all.

"Are you sure you aren't doing this just because of-" She frowned slightly.

As the elevator doors opened at the main floor, I gasped feeling queasy in astonishment of who was waiting for the elevator on the other side.

"-Paul." My eyes widened staring face to face with the man who had broken my heart only two days prior.

"This, He's- It was Paul McCartney this entire time?" Audrey stuttered out gobsmacked, nearly at the point of fainting.

"Charlie, can we please talk?" Paul begged looking absolutely crushed.

It was certain that he was extremely upset by what Audrey had told him, but I know he still wasn't completely sure what he'd done.

I pretended to think for a moment.

"No, I'm alright thank you." I smiled sarcastically grabbing Audrey's arm and walking past him, bringing her with me to the exit doors feeling like I could break into tears at any given moment.

"Charlotte Gray, you've really done it this time." Audrey nagged wide eyed as if she were my mother.

"Charlie, please, just talk to me." Paul spoke as he walked toward us.

"Can you bring this to the car? I'll be right out." I handed Audrey the shoe box inhaling a deep breath.

I must've been a charity giving out all these chances for people to explain themselves to me, first Oliver now Paul.

"I can't do this anymore." I huffed out in frustration as I turned to Paul

"Do what anymore?" He looked taken aback.

"Be with you." I shook my head.

"Why not?" He looked hurt as he stood in front of me.

"Because of Jane." I spoke in an obvious tone, watching as his face immediately clouded over with extreme guilt.

"How long did you think you could keep me from finding out?" I shook my head with a scoff in complete disgust.

"I'm sorry." He ducked his head down ashamed of himself.

"Well I am too, for wasting my time falling for you." I replied with a scoff.

I turned to walk away when he spoke up.

"Wait, Charlie," He spoke grabbing my arm to stop me from leaving.

I hesitantly looked back to him, trying to calm myself down.

"Jane and I, we've grown apart. It just isn't the same with her as it is with you love." He spoke sweetly looking into my eyes for any sort of indication of hope.

"Then tell me honestly that I'm the only girl you've ever cheated on Jane with." I growled knowing plainly that I wasn't.

He stayed silent with a pained look in his eyes.

"Right." I jerked my arm out of Paul's grasp.

"Goodbye Paul." I turned away again, this time leaving out the doors and hurrying away to the car.

I was fuming with rage as I got in the passenger seat of Audrey's car.

"You've got a lot of explaining to do." Audrey spoke wide eyed as she started the car.

________________

Later that day after telling Audrey absolutely everything that had happened between Paul and I, I had finally gotten to work trying to get back to normal and forget about the past two weeks completely.

"Charlie?" I heard from behind me after a gentle tap on my shoulder.

I turned around from cleaning a table to see Ringo with a sympathetic smile.

I started at him wordlessly, unsure of how or why he was here.

"Ringo?" I asked will a small smile peaking on my lips.

"Hello love." He grinned wider.

"W-what are you doing here?" I asked feeling people beginning to stare from all around us.

His smile dropped guiltily.

"Don't tell me Paul sent you." I groaned rolling my eyes, picking up my serving empty tray and tucking it underneath my arm, going to walk past him annoyedly.

"No, it's nothing like that." He spoke following me to the counter.

"I actually wanted to invite you to a party tomorrow, to celebrate the release of our new album." He smiled nervously as I stared at him motionlessly.

"Invite me?" I asked taken aback unsure of an answer. I didn't know why he was inviting me, and maybe he had an elaborate plan to try and get me to talk to Paul but in the moment I didn't really care, I'd be going to a party the Beatles were hosting.

"Yeah, I thought with everything happening, maybe you'd want a distraction. I'm really sorry for what happened between you and Paul." He looked at me with his electric blue puppy dog eyes that nobody could say no to and sighed.

"Sure, I'll be there," I nodded. "Can I bring a friend?" I asked with Oliver in mind.

"Sure." Ringo nodded, giving me the address at the place the party would be at and when to be there.

Once he'd left I couldn't help but think I made the wrong choice, but I couldn't say no to those damn puppy dog eyes.