Chapter 25 Part 2

Chapter 25 Part 2

Sorry (because I think some of my readers deserve an apology for this one)

As realization dawned on her face, the secretary seemed to step back a bit while still staring wide-eyed.

But no matter how bewildered she was, it was doubled—no, tripled in me from what I just heard. "What do you mean? What political marriage?"

I watched her. Watched her regain a bit composure and then there was sudden shift in her expression. A cruel smile slowly spread on her lips, "So you really don't... remember." She started laughing, more of cackles of a witch amused by the suffering of her latest prey than anything did.

Valerie straightened then, standing a little taller and wearing an entertained expression on her face.

She was grinning like a Cheshire cat, "then I'll have to enjoy watching you struggle a little more."

I would never understand how one person could enjoy another's suffering.

She made a move, as if to leave me in this room with my suffering. And I felt something overflowed in my head... like a different person coming to the surface. My hand shot out, grasping her arm in a painful grip.

She wasn't expecting this. "What are you doing? Let go!"

In the midst of the pain I was feeling in my head, I pulled her back in front of me with a strength I didn't realize I still had. There was even a sick satisfaction at seeing her stumble in those impractical stilettoes. She was fuming now.

"The amnesia may have taken every last memory of who I was... but I'm already starting to remember." I didn't recognize the frosty voice I was using. "Do you want to know which memories I've remembered so far?"

Valerie seemed to recognize the voice though. She narrowed her eyes at me. "Are you trying to scare me?" My eyes didn't miss the defensive stance she unconsciously took.

I raised an eyebrow, watching for her facial reaction to my next words. "We met before. In this very room... just before the car accident."

Fear flickered in her eyes.

That made me smile humorlessly. "You distinctly denied our acquaintance... but you were the last person I met before that accident, weren't you?"

I knew I was grasping at straws with that last statement. I wasn't sure if she really was the last person I met before that... but her look was everything. If it weren't completely true, it had enough merit to it.

Coldly, I let my stare linger on her face a little longer. "That's all I need to know."

I meant to walk out of that room then. But as I started to turn away, she lunged at me, digging her fingernails into my arm.

What she did was so similar to the one in my memories. The feel of those sharp nails, was it real or was it just those strong memories coming too close to the surface? Another stab of pain to my head.

"Are you actually putting the blame of that accident on me?" her voice was tight, with just a hint of desperation.

I tried to pull my arm away but she was much too strong. Even the last time, I couldn't pull free of her too. This feeling... the sudden burst of hate I felt for her that last time was bleeding into my veins.

It felt like my skull wanted to explode... I wanted to numb myself against the pain. But first, I had to make her let go of me. And maybe hurt her a little in the process too.