4. Absolutely Clueless

Noah

There was a small cafe area at the back of the arena that sold some basic junk food, and drinks. I made my way over there on my bandy legs, hoping that no one was watching.

It was fairly empty, and I sat down on a table by myself with my blue raspberry flavoured slushie.

I should have invited Dean and Zac to come with us. For some stupid reason I got it into my head that because Robin had invited us, it wasn't up to me who could and couldn't come. Stupid really considering it was a public place.

Someone plopped down on the seat next to me and I looked across to see Robin grinning at me. He immediately shoved another straw into my slush and took a big sip.

This was perfectly normal behaviour for Robin. He was always stealing my food and drinks. I was relieved to see that he'd got his own straw this time. He didn't usually care and would just share mine.

"Hey," I said in a tone somewhere between a 'hey how are you doing' and a 'hey get off my slushie'.

I immediately looked down, embarrassed that I couldn't even speak a word without being ambiguous.

"I saw Max with Mia," Robin said, tilting his head a little to try to see my face. "It's a bit shit of him to dump you like that for a girl."

"I know, right?!" I said, finally looking up and smiling at him.

"I don't mind helping you for a bit, you know, if that's ok with you?"

I stared at him for a moment, my mouth hanging open a little. Partly because the idea of Robin helping me on the ice brought me out in a cold sweat, but also partly because I wasn't used to seeing this side of Robin. He was usually so confident and brash and would have just told me he was helping me and not given me any choice in the matter.

On realising the silence was getting uncomfortable, I quickly nodded my head.

"Yeah, sure, that would be great."

Robin smiled at me and I smiled back, hoping I looked the epitome of calm.

Inside I was freaking out. Like a volcano of nerves about to erupt.

I looked down at what was left of my slushie and realised I couldn't stomach anymore.

"You want this?" I asked pushing it over to Robin.

"Yeah!" Robin exclaimed like it was a stupid question and promptly slurped up the rest in a matter of seconds.

"Come on then!" he said, getting up to put the cup in the bin.

I took a deep breath before getting to my feet, then deliberately let Robin go ahead so I could bandy leg my way behind him.

By the time we got to the entrance of the rink, I felt like I was going into a full on meltdown.

What was wrong with me?? Why did I suddenly feel this way around Robin??

I was starting to come to one really awful terrifying conclusion.....

I must be homophobic.

When we reached the entrance to the ice, Robin stepped on then stopped and held out his hand for me.

I paused for a brief second, wondering what to do.

There was a chance I could now get onto the ice without help. But it was only a slim chance. Plus if I refused to touch him, would that confirm I was homophobic?

I settled for the middle ground and ignored his hand but grabbed hold of his arm.

"This is how I do it with Max," I explained, hoping that was enough to pacify him.