Chapter 6

Scarlet was panting, her mind racing with the horrible images of the nightmare.

She searched for Wolf, to climb into the comfort of his arms, to breathe in the familiar smell of his skin.

He wasn't there.

Instantly Scarlet started to panic. She scrambled out of bed, her chest rising and falling much too fast. She flung herself down the stairs, taking them three at a time. She couldn't hear anything, the house was completely silent. Scarlet's heart slammed against her ribcage, each beat like a gun being fired.

She knew he wasn't there. She knew he had gone.

She sank onto her knees, her hands clutching her face. She raked her fingers through her curls, letting out a frustrated scream muffled by her clenched teeth.

She sat there for what seemed like hours, until her moment of silent shock was disturbed by the quiet crying of a small child.

"Michelle!" Scarlet gasped, sprinting clumsily back up the stairs and into her daughter's room.

The baby lay curled in her cot, gurgling morosely into her blankets. Scarlet picked her up, holding her up to her face. Michelle giggled as she looked at her mother's worried face. Scarlet let herself smile, her grinning daughter waving her chubby arms.

She held the baby close to her, whispering into the baby's neck "Michelle, please don't ever, ever leave me."

Michelle sighed heavily and gurgled her first words into her mother's hair, "mama," before she fell asleep on her mother's shoulder.