Chapter 10

Scarlet stared into space, Michelle gurgling contentedly in her high chair next to her. Her hands shook as she raised the cold coffee to her cracked lips, swallowing even though it was bitter and long past drinking temperature.

Her Portscreen vibrated on the table, making Scarlet jump so violently she spilt coffee all over her shirt and Michelle giggle happily. Her hands trembling, she reached for the Port, her heart hammering with the sliver of hope she clung to that it would be Wolf.

Her chest deflated when she saw it was from Cinder, though she smiled at the thought of hearing from her old friend.

The comm read:

Hey Scarlet! How are you? It's been a long time, we've just been so busy with everything over here, Kai being royalty and all. How's little Michelle doing? How are you and Wolf getting on over there? We all miss you, hugs from everyone!

- Cinder

Scarlet covered her mouth as she found herself sobbing uncontrollably, both with happiness and sorrow. The tears slid down her cheeks onto her neck, her eyes blurry.

Michelle started to cry then too, Scarlet scooped her out of her chair, rocking her in her arms. "ma petite, ma petite," she said softly to the baby, wiping the tears from her eyes.

When the baby was calm, snuggled against her mother's breast, scarlet picked up her Port, her hands still shaking, and sent a comm to Cinder.