The Great Pluto Debate

Welcome back to the one-shot collection!

So this was requested by a Guest reviewer on FFN, asking for an argument out of Pluto that ''gets out of hand'' and boy, did it get out of hand! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: don't own

~'0'~

''Sangomom, I want you to disown Hayami.''

The keeper looks up from the training menu he is inspecting and merely stares at Hamano for a few seconds. The midfielder stares back without hesitation, completely serious.

''Hamano,'' says Sangoku slowly, and the younger boy tilts his head, ''I... honestly don't know what to say. I can't 'disown' Hayami because we're not family and even if we were, why would I do that?''

The midfielder huffs. ''You nag so much, you might as well be the team's mother,'' he mutters. Unfortunately for him, Sangoku hears it and shoots him a murderous glare, which the younger teen simply waves away. ''Anyway, Hayami should be disowned because he said it's good Pluto isn't a planet anymore.''

Someone chokes.

''Disown him,'' mutters Kurama.

Sangoku shoots him a Look, with capital L, but any other reaction is prevented when the sliding doors of the clubroom open and Hayami arrives.

The maroon-haired teen pauses when he sees half of his team glare at him, while the other half looks exasperated – not that that's surprising, it's pretty much their default state by now – and as his eyes stray to Hamano, realization crosses his face.

He sighs.

''For the record, I only mean that it's logical Pluto isn't considered a planet, because there is no scientific justification for it to be one.''

His teammates – the ones actually picking sides, that is – only seem to get angrier at that.

Hayami sighs again, accepting his fate and placing his bag by the lockers. Then he moves towards one of the benches and sits down, pushing up his glasses. ''Look, first of all, it's out in the Kuiper Belt, along with millions of other chunks of ice and rock. Second of all, there are bigger things in the Kuiper Belt, so why shouldn't those be considered planets if Pluto is considered one? And it's impossible to call everything there a planet, because there are too many, and the word would lose its meaning.''

Sangoku is inclined to give in to that logical explanation. His friends... not so much.

''I DON'T CARE!'' cries Hamano, pointing a shaky finger at his best friend. ''You're a traitor to me, Haya! How could you?! I trusted you!''

Hayami is starting to look a little uncomfortable – only a little, though, which isn't very surprising, considering the amount of time he spends with the other midfielder. ''H-Hamano, come on, I'm just-''

''I don't want to hear it, you traitor!''

Hamano turns away from his, perhaps former, best friend. Hayami stares at him for a few seconds and then glances at his other teammates, shrinking away when he notices the glares shot his way.

Sangoku, seeing it too, frowns. ''Come on guys, you're being unreasonable-''

''No, Sangomom!'' protests Hamano. ''Not you too!''

The keeper shoots him a glare, muttering under his breath, ''patience, patience, patience dammit-''

Ignoring the issue of Sangoku's mental stability in favor of continuing the earlier conversation, Kurama – surprisingly – shoots Hayami a disapproving look. ''I get what you're saying, buddy, I really do, but I can't help but wonder, where did your heart go?''