Chapter 9

I tug the covers closer around my body, rolling over to find a more comfortable position.  My eyes flutter open a little despite my attempts to keep them closed.  On the bedroom cabinet, my shiny black cell phone reflects the sliver of light shining through the gap between the curtains over my window.

Just like that, any thought of sleep is eliminated, and automatically, my hands reach out to retrieve my cell.  As I wait for it the turn on, I rub the sleep from my eyes, yawning loudly and smiling at the thought of yesterday’s events.

The memory of the kiss causes my lips to tingle gently.  Cautiously, I put two fingers to my lips as though to feel them for any change.  It reminds me of the way I'd touched my lips after my first kiss.

I shake my head fiercely as the image of the tall, muscular boy with his shining blonde hair fills my mind… and those grey eyes.  As much as I want to forget him, the memories we have shared together will never fade completely.  People change, but memories always stay the same.

A vibration from my phone snaps me out of my thoughts, as I look down at the screen.  9 missed calls.

I frown, wondering whether I’m imagining things.  Since when have I been so popular?  I glance at the clock, noting that it’s quarter to twelve.  Okay, so maybe I’ve slept in longer than normal, but there’s still no need to have so many missed calls after just one night.

I tap the message, watching with interest as the missed calls come onto the screen.

I smirk as I notice that seven of the missed calls are from Micky.  That’s not exactly a surprise considering his impatient tendencies when it comes to not getting an answer on the phone.

The most recent calls, marked as 11:02 and 11:34, are from Verity, however, whose number I gained yesterday.  The edges of my lips rise a little at the thought of having a close female friend.  I’ve only ever had Micky before now.  It’s not that I don’t enjoy being friends with him, but he’s a guy; sometimes I need the company of a girl to gossip and giggle with.  As much as Micky can crack the funniest jokes, he’s a fail at commenting on clothes or helping with my hair and makeup.

I quickly make the decision to ring Verity, whose voice fills the air after the first ring.

“Emily, hey!”

I wince at the noise her voice makes and the high tone she speaks with.  I quickly move the cell from my ear to my lap, putting it on speaker instead.

“Hey Verity,” I reply, my voice crackling from not being used all night.  I clear my throat before continuing.  “What’s up?” I ask.

I hear a rummaging sound in the background, followed by a chorus of shrill yapping, presumably the bark of a dog.  I raise my eyebrows, waiting for Verity to reply.

“Oscar!  Get down, you little- bad dog!  No, no, no… bad dog!” I hear her scolding the dog, followed by a high whine.  “Naughty boy, Oscar.  Outside for you!”  The slamming of the door signifies the exiting of the dog, and I can’t suppress my giggles.  “Sorry about that.  That was my dog.”

“I guessed.”  I smile to myself, waiting for her to continue.  When she doesn’t, I ask, “So, what did you want?”

“Oh, I almost forgot about that.  Well, the thing is… wait, do you know Jared Simmonds?” she questions

“No,” I reply honestly, straining my memory.  I don't have any recollection of someone with the name.

“He goes to Georgetown High,” she says, matter-of-factly.  “And he throws the best parties.  They’re even better than Jerry’s!” Jerry wouldn’t be too happy to hear that, I think to myself.  “He’s holding one tonight, at his house!”