Chapter 15

No, your eyes are not decieving you.  I have uploaded once again! XD

Dedicated to the fan of the upload!  Thanks for commenting on every chapter of this story, and my Hunger Games fan fiction. :D

Song describing Emily and Adriano's past relationship on the side.   Also, a picture of a lisianthus (you'll see why).

THIS IS IN THE WATTY'S!  DON'T FORGET TO VOTE! --> 

I go out of my way to avoid Adriano.  I spend the afternoon ducking behind groups of people at even a glimpse of bright blonde hair, even going to the extreme of engaging in sudden conversation with my History teacher when I spot the large, muscular figure appearing behind some lockers.  However, it seems that you can’t hide from everything.

Closing my locker, I take one wistful last glance at the sun outside the window at the end of the empty corridor, before turning around.  Instead of seeing the closed brown double doors I expect, I find myself face-to-face with someone’s chest.  Dread fills me as my eyes trail up pass the messy tie, straight nose, and then to the cool grey eyes.

I take an instinctive step back, feeling threatened by the close proximity between us, before attempting to move around him and out of the doors.  I should know by now, though, that Adriano won’t let me.

“That’s no way to treat an old friend,” his voice is quiet, but low and menacing, like the growl of a wolf hunting his prey.  His hand shoots out, gripping my wrist tightly and pulling me close to him.  I stumble at the sudden tug, cursing the clumsiness I have inherited from my dad as I fall against his chest.  “Is it?”  His hot breath fans against my face as he bends down, the corner of his mouth pulled up slyly.

A shiver crawls up my spine as I look into his emotionless eyes.  Only the smirk on his face gives a hint of how he is feeling.  I swallow down the bile rising in my mouth, forcing myself to look him steadily in the eyes.  “Let go,” I order him, cursing the small tremble I can hear in my voice.  Apparently the waver goes unmissed as he grins, his grip only tightening on my wrist.  “Let go,” I repeat, my voice firmer this time.  Sadly, the damage is already done.

“Why?” he asks, taking a step forward, and effectively forcing me to back up into the lockers.  My back collides with a locker block with a light thud, the contents of the locker behind me rattling.  I can feel the heat emitting from his body as he pushes himself against me so that the tips of our noses are touching.

“You’re despicable,” I spit, a flush of anger overcoming me.  Wrenching my wrist from his grasp, I narrow my eyes in a glare, refusing to let myself look away from his penetrating gaze.

My resilience only makes him more amused.  “Despicable me – sounds like I’m named after a movie,” he muses, a row of white teeth gleaming as he speaks.

I don’t make an effort to even comment on his egotistic reply, inside narrowing my eyes and fixing him with a cold look.  “What do you want?”

“What do you want?” he shoots back, his own eyes narrowing.  “What are you doing with this Aaron guy?” The animal inside me wants to shrink away from the venom sizzling on his tongue; running away and hiding seemed like a good idea.  However, as much as I may want to, trapped between Adriano and the lockers, there’s no choice for me but to stand my ground.  “I didn’t take you as the type of girl to fool around with people more popular than you.”

That comment makes my teeth grind together.  “You don’t know anything,” I growl.  Not liking the useless feeling of my hands hanging at my side, I shove his chest, but to no avail.  He doesn’t even budge a centimetre, instead his top lip curling up as though entertained by my actions.