Chapter 35

With every step I take the scent becomes stronger and my heart beats faster. We go up-wind so they won't smell us until we are very close. Our steps are light and carful. Why was he here? He has to be the one that took her. I hear footsteps, and I mentally tell Peter to hold. He stops next to me bowing his head lower to the ground as we both listen.

'Four pairs of feet' he says through the link

"One must be Logans and the other Everly's..."

"Scar is most likely with them" I growl lowly at this

"Be prepared for whoever the fourth person is" I tell him and his golden eyes nod down at me "on my count, we attack" again he nods

"1....2....3"

With their heightened hearing they turn sharply to see us. I take in the scene in front of me. Logan is holding Everly up, she looks weak and tired. His eyes widen in fear and shock. Scar is ahead of the group and is the last to turn around. But when she does she quickly looks to the other person. My eyes shift and land on the piece of shit Herk. First he disrespects me then tries to steal my love! I howl louder than I ever have and go for him first.

He shifts mid air and his claws come around to my shoulders. His black fur matches mine but not his strength. I naw at his neck and he tries to claw anywhere he can reach. I look over for a split second to see Logan has shifted and is rolling around with blood in his teeth and fur as Peter bites his ankle. I continue my assault on Herk and the words of the alpha I questioned ring in my head. Herk was the highest bidder. He was going to take my Everly. With each sickening thought my bites grow deeper and we roll towards the ground. He tries to pin me but I flip his body over mine and pounce on him again.

"STOP!" I hear the girl scream, all four fighting wolves eyes turn to her "shift now and let us go or I'll do it" she's holding Everly up by her neck as she's tucked into her elbow. Everly desperately tries to peel her arm away from her. She's holding a silver knife to Everly's side and instantly I freeze.

I shift "don't you dare!" my voice booms across the trees and echos back to us. Everly's eyes finally meet mine. Her gray every are filled with tears, she lets out sobs of confusion, relief, and fear. My knees weaken at the crumbling sight of her.

Herk is still beside me in his wolf form, Peter and Logan have shifted back. Logan stares at his mate with somber eyes "Scar...honey please" he begs trying to calm her

Tears well up in her eyes "stop Logan!" She cries "you're mine, she deserves this" again a sob and the knife inches closer and so do I "she tried to take you from me...the one thing I ever wanted"

We stay still as he walks closer to her "I'm yours my love...you know this is wrong" he plead with her "we can still do the right thing"

Herk slowly makes his way over towards Logan, I keep my eye on his every move. Peter walks closer to me. Scar shakes her head as tears fall. The next thing I know Herk knocks Logan out cold as he shifts back to human form. Scars eyes go wide "what the hell?!" She screams still holding Everly but her grip loosens as she fights the urge to move to her mate and as I debate taking advantage of her weakness and pounce on her to get Everly, but it's too risky.

"We have to stick to the plan!" Herk argues "she's mine, I paid good money for her and I've protected you. She will bare my pups! Do as you wish when I'm done with her and I get my heirs" he says and I see Everly shrink away at the thought and I growl

Scar nods slowly looking at Logan as he lays still on the ground. He won't be out long. She turns her eyes back over to us, Peter looks to me for direction on what to do next. "You don't love her either, it's all a sick game" Scar spits to me and Everly looks away from my eyes...ashamed