Chapter Thirty-Three

I glide about the bedroom, dancing in a large hoodie of August's and a pair of old leggings. The rhythms of the warmup music fill my head, so I hum the melodies and move in time with my eyes closed in peace.

"You know you should be taking things easy. Exercise isn't good for the baby." I stop mid-step and look over my shoulder at August.

"Actually," I start, placing my hands on my hips. "I believe what the doctor said was heavy exercise is bad for the baby. Besides, I'm only ten weeks pregnant and what I was doing was very light." I pull at my hair, tightening the ponytail and raise an eyebrow in his direction.

"Of course you would say that was light." He frowns at me and I roll my eyes.

"Will you relax a little? I'm not going to do anything that I think could hurt the baby." My feet carry me to his side and I give him a small peck on the cheek. "Promise."

I step away before he can pull me into his arms and snatch the dress I had picked for tonight, heading for the bathroom for a nice bath to soothe my nervousness.

I set my change of clothes on the countertop next to the sink and turn on the water to fill the tub. It fills quickly, steam rising from the water. I strip myself bare and step into the water, holding back a sharp breath as I ease myself in, the hot water turning my skin a light shade of pink.

Tonight, August and I are having dinner with Millie and my parents. We plan to tell them of the pregnancy, and I'm nervous about what Mother will have to say. I know that Millie and Father will support the two of us until their dying breath, but Mother I have my worries about.

Mother has never full-heartedly supported anything I've done, save for my betrothal and marriage to August, but that's not something that could be changed so her support would be expected. She didn't support my choice of profession until she needed to, she sure as the stars in the sky didn't support my choice to sever all ties to the Fields during the betrothal meeting. I'm not sure that she would support much of anything unless Millie was the one doing it.

I pull myself closer and move under the water a little more until the water line was just below my nose. Come to think of it, if both Millie and Father support August and I, surely Mother will as well, she hates being wrong almost as much as being disobeyed.

I stay in the tub until the water's turned cold and only then do I stand, water streaming down my body, and get out. I quickly towel myself dry and change into my dress, deciding to blow-dry my hair quickly. The machine is quick and quiet, a simple buzzing noise all it makes as it shoots hot air at my blonde locks.

"Ada?" I look in the mirror and see August standing in the doorway to the bedroom.

I shut the dryer off and turn to look at him without the assistance of the mirror. "Yes?"

"You almost ready?"

"Yes, I just have to finish my hair. Why?"

"Because it is already five." My jaw drops and I turn to finish my hair quickly. We had planned to leave the house at five-thirty and make it to my old house for a six o'clock dinner because we have to get back home for the eight o'clock curfew.

Once my hair is dry, I pin up the sides and run to the room to get shoes. I grab my white, gladiator style sandals to go with the white dress I'm wearing and lace them up as fast as I can. "Auggie?"

"Yeah?" He calls from another room.

"Would you grab the bag of clothes I planned to give to Millie? I'll be out in just a second."

"Got it."

I yell my thanks and focus on finishing up the laces. It feels like ages, but I've finally got them finished so I get up and move to the living room to meet up with August and glance at the clock. Five-twenty-five.