Chapter 8

"And then you just left?" Sebastian asked his co-star as they stood in costume to the side of the set, waiting for it to finish being set up for the scene and Chris relayed the entire story of what had happened.

Chris let out a long sigh, running a hand over his freshly shaved face before crossing his arms in front of his chest that was covered in his Captain America costume, "Well yeah. I mean, I didn't know what to do. Stevie can get pretty pissed."

"She sure is a firecracker," Seb chuckled.

"You should have seen her when she was with Erik. It was like she was a different person! She would do whatever he said, she was totally just like beat down by him and he treated her like crap and she would let him," Chris got worked up at just the thought of it.

Sebastian shook his head as he ran a hand through his long hair, "He sounds like he deserved to get punched. But I just can't imagine Stevie being like that."

"I know, it was so weird. I've known her my whole life and she's never been like that and it drove me insane," He huffed.

Sebastian was quiet for a moment before he turned his head and snuck a look at his friend before pursing his lips together, "What do you think about what Erik said?"

"What?"

"When he said that Stevie wants you," Was his response.

Chris just rolled his eyes, "He's just a jealous asshole. He hates that Stevie had me as a friend and was threatened by that."

Sebastian just laughed, "Well I think he also was threatened by the fact that you're head over heels for Stevie and would do anything for her and it's obvious to everyone around you."

"If they had a good relationship though, he wouldn't be threatened," Chris retorted. "I feel terrible about how it happened, but I'm glad they broke up. I know it would have happened anyway because Erik doesn't really love her, at least not the right way but I hate how upset Stevie is."

"How is she taking it?" Sebastian asked.

Chris rubbed the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger, "I don't know. She won't talk to me. That happened almost a week ago and she still won't talk to me and I've called her so many times. She originally was going to come with me here to do re-shoots since she'd only have to take a couple days off work and it's over her birthday so I was taking her for that too but obviously that didn't happen."

"What are you going to do?" Sebastian asked.

Another sigh came out of Chris, scratching at his jawline, "I don't know. Stevie is so damn stubborn I guess I just have to wait for her to come around."

"Her birthday is on Saturday though... do you think she'll come around before then?" He kept questioning.

"I don't know. She's never been this angry at me before," Chris was still disheartened. "I hope she does. This is her 35th birthday and earlier this year I decided that her birthday was when I was going to tell her that I loved her. When we were kids, we made a promise that if we weren't married by the time we were 35, then we'd get married and I thought that on her birthday, it would be a good time to bring it up and kind of break the ice and then tell her.... But obviously all of that is different now."

"Why does it have to be?"

The two didn't have time to talk about it anymore because the director called them over for their scene. The rest of the day Chris couldn't get that thought out of his mind. Sebastian's question of 'why does it have to be' kept replaying over and over in his mind. Maybe it didn't have to be this way... maybe Chris could change it. But the longer he thought about it, the more he realized it was this way. There was no way he could tell her how he feels now. Not after her fiance walked out on her.... Especially since he felt like it was his fault. Maybe it was best she wasn't talking to him right now because he didn't think his heart could handle listening to her crying over losing Erik when his love for her was so big that he felt like his heart was going to burst.