Try Me

"Hey Shen Yue, let's try it," he said.

I almost choked on my drink.

"Are you serious? I don't dance, you really want me to go on that dancefloor and 'bust my moves'? No thanks, sir," I said.

"Come on, although I'm breathtaking and good at almost everything that I do, dancing isn't also my best suit. Let's do it! There are so many people on that dancefloor anyways, they wouldn't notice us," he said.

I looked at him, eyes beaming with enthusiasm, lips curled in a sweet smile in an attempt to lure me to join his silly idea—and I know, I just know—that I would eventually give in.

But still I said, "No. I'm not doing it. This is just one of those stupid times that I know I would regret one day, so no, I'm gonna pass. Just do it with somebody else."

"But I want to dance with you!"

"You just want to make fun of me," I rolled my eyes at him.

"Why do you have to be so uptight tonight? Loosen up!" he said.

It's supposed to be a fun night. We just wrapped filming this variety show that we were both on and it's raining drinks and ringing loud music. He was right, there were a lot of people in the party (I didn't think there were this many who made this show possible) that there probably wouldn't be a whiff of us dancing if we just blend in on the crowd, but I wasn't in the mood. For some reason, a bitter feeling is starting to form on my chest that it's all over.

But Wang He Di, being the ever-childish and tenacious person that he is, started to tug my arms into the direction of where everyone was 'dancing'. I tried to resist and keep still in my seat but he successfully made me stand up and pulled me to the direction of the dancefloor.

"Let go of my arm I want to sit down!" I shouted while trying to defy the force of his arms.

But he just kept skipping into the flock of people until we were in the heart of the crowd. When he stopped pulling me, I immediately tried to turn back to my seat but he grabbed my arm again and started twirling me around like what they do in dancesport.

After a lot of twist and turns, failed rhythm coordination and hilarious movements, I finally succumbed to the delight of dancing and started grooving on my own.

We were laughing our heads off the entire time and momentarily, I forgot about the looming reality that I wouldn't be able to see this boy as often as I did while filming this show.

"Shen Yue, what did I tell you? Wasn't that fun, huh?" he bragged when we went back to our seats.

"What are you talking about? That was exhausting. Now I want some air," I lied. I had a great time.

He pretended not to hear me and went on to munch on some snacks. He hasn't left my side since the night started and although I kept on trying to make him go somewhere else, the truth is that I just want him by my side.

"You know I'll start filming my new drama after this," he said without looking at me.

"Yeah? Good for you then," I said nonchalantly.

"And you're probably going to start doing promos for your new drama soon, right?"

"They still haven't told me my schedule but yeah, I think so."

"Shen Yue look at me," he instructed.

My heart pounded at his words but I obliged.

"What?"

"We won't be seeing each other as often as we did. We'd both be busy and will go on with our own separate lives," he said.

"What are you being so dramatic for? Of course, that's life," I said with brows furrowed.

"It doesn't have to be that way, though."

"Hey are you drunk? What are you even talking about?"

He sounded pissed this time. "Why are you so stubborn?"

"I was just asking, I wasn't being stubborn! I didn't really know what you're talking about—"

"Try me," he said.

"What?" I practically shouted in the midst of the loud music.

"I said try me," he whispered in my ears.

"No I'm not gonna do that again, I've had enough dancing in a year with that little performance that we did in there," I said while letting out a feeble chuckle.

The truth is, I heard him the first time. But I wasn't sure if I heard it correctly, so I pretended not to hear it. The second time I knew I was right, but I still wasn't sure of what he meant so I made it look like I misheard him.

"No, not the dancing. I meant me. TRY ME," he yelled into my ears.

"What am I gonna try you with?" I said, still confused.

"With you," he said.

I felt like disintegrating. That was the stupidest (not to mention most self-glorying) admission of admiration in the history of mankind, but somehow, he got me.

"You mean like.." I stopped and tried to suppress my laughter, "..a relationship?"

"Ugh you're so stupid," he said.

"You're the stupid one," I said, finally smiling ear-to-ear. "Who asks someone to be in a relationship with those words? You narcissistic idiot."

"Would have wanted something cheesier? I figured you wouldn't," he said seriously, to my surprise.

"No, you're right. This is way more organic and unconventional," I answered.

Then he held my left hand with his right and our fingers intertwined.

"You have to make sure you're going to be worth my time and attention, Wang He Di. I'm not playing any games with you."

"I never disappoint," he smiled smugly as I lay my head on his shoulders and as he kissed my head. "Satisfaction guaranteed."

So 'Try me' huh?

More like 'I love you' to me. (End)

A/N: Initially posted on Twitter November 20, 2018.