10:20pm

Important note:
This story has been the subject of varying reactions, but has evoked a collective negative emotion among its readers. If you will read this for the first time, please know that it may set a fluffy tone in the beginning, but that it gets pretty dark and depressing as it goes on. Remember though that it is only fiction.

***

I planned for this to be great day.

We were to meet at a coffee shop at 6:30pm. I arrived at 6:27pm and thought I was running late. I surveyed the area to look for him and saw a familiar figure seated on the table beside the curtained window.

I stopped dead on my tracks when I recognized him from the back. I had to hold on to something so I grabbed the nearest chair I could find. I was suddenly dizzy. I contemplated going forth with my plan but I knew I had to. You can do this. I convinced myself.

I walked towards his direction. I have never been this nervous in my entire life that I was certain I would faint at some point. Actually, I wanted to faint so I could have a decent excuse why I didn't make it.

Too late. I reached the table, utterly disappointed at how my legs didn't crumple to the ground or why I failed to conjure up a spell that would've reduced me to ashes. I sat down and smiled at him.

"Great, you're here. Let's go."

I shouldn't have said I sat down. I would have sat down if this idiot of a man didn't immediately hold me by the wrist and pulled me outside.

Not a minute passed and I was putting on a seatbelt inside a car. I swear this is what being in the middle of a whirlwind felt. I glanced at my wristwatch and saw the time: 6:34pm.

"Be careful, please," I practically begged him.

"Yes ma'am," the idiot replied.

"Stop calling me that." I looked at him sharply.

"I like following orders from you," he said with a sheepish smirk.

I rolled my eyes and he drove.

We reached our destination — a beach. We stayed inside the car for a while as the roaring joys of the people on the coast erupted.

"Do you want to listen to some music?" he asked.

"No." I agressively replied.

"Why?"

"We never agreed on music," I told him.

"Never is a hyperbole. We would occasionally agree on music," he said, all the while turning right to stare at me.

"Oh, yeah. Like that one time when we sang on national television and butchered the song," I said, smiling upon remembering such a milestone in our relationship.

"I butchered it. You didn't."

"Stop it. I told you countless times: you were amazing."

"Alright. I was amazing," he said while grinning like a fool.

"Wow. You were just fishing for a compliment."

"No, I just told you. I like to agree on whatever you say."

It was already 7:54pm when we decided to take a stroll on the beach. Everything about this felt familiar: the sound of waves crashing on the shore, footsteps being washed away by the tides, the smell of salt water filling up my lungs, and this man walking beside me who always had to adjust his strides so that we could walk at the same pace.

But as intimate as it felt, it was also strange to be casually hanging out with my companion. Being with him makes me feel disconnected from the world and I knew I shouldn't, but he's always had a way of drawing me in and making it seem like it was just the two of us.