More Than Words

By yours truly and Vivi (vanillatwirlss)

Wang He Di wasn't sure if it was the ocean, but in those moments, he was drawn to her like never before.

They have just finished filming the part where they were watching the sunset at Huizhou's seaside—mostly just the two of them—and he kept having an inkling to butcher his lines or deliberately mess up just so she'd be beside him a little bit longer than necessary.

They've shot more intimate scenes than this one but for some reason, this short scene had such an immense impact on him. He wondered why the simple and tranquil act of Shen Yue sitting beside him calmed him like the waves of the ocean did; he questioned the sudden change in his heartbeat when she softly rested her head onto his shoulder; and he was fascinated that when she looked at him to utter her lines, time seemingly stood still and he was lost in her round, brown eyes.

He collected himself, went on to stand beside her in front of the ocean and nudged her arm. "Hey," he said. "Deep in thoughts?"

She didn't budge, so he prodded her arm yet again. "There seems to be a lot of stuff running around in that little head of yours. Care to share?"

"It's nothing, really. I'm just a little tired and trying to memorize my lines," she answered.

"Come on! You're 'strong-strong'! Lighten up a bit!" he poked her arm again. "Besides, we're a day closer to wrap-up of filming. Another day closer to our break!"

"Can you stop doing that?" she said, sounding a bit annoyed.

"What?" he said.

"Poking my arm like I'm some sort of a pin cushion or teddy bear. Don't you have more important things to do?"

He just smiled but he sensed she must be feeling down. And to him, that was more reason not to leave her alone. "I have a serious question though," he said. "Why are so little?"

She looked at him and rolled her eyes. "Seriously? Only tall people would ask such a stupid question," she snapped back at him. "But it's probably because you're just unnecessarily tall."

He laughed and gently shoved her towards the waters. "Why are you so serious?"

She pushed him back and said, "I'm not being serious, I'm being a professional by trying to memorize my lines."

"By staring at the ocean?"

She glared at him. "By trying to calm myself through the waves but you just won't let me be."

"Do you really need to do it while standing?"

"Stop talking, Wang He Di."

To elevate the matters, he started singing an impromptu song about Shancai and that's when she lost it. She started kicking and pushing him until they were right on the waters. She even positioned herself into a boxing position but he just scooped her up in one go, carried her and turned her around merrily. He didn't know why he did that but she was laughing like a kid and he liked that. So much.

When they finally had enough frolicking for the day, they sat on a rock formation situated on the sand beach. Dusk has already fallen and the crew were now busily fixing the setup on another side of the coast where they have yet to shoot more scenes. It has been a long day but it was far from over.