2. So If You Can't Tell Me, Why Mention It?

Chapter 2

So If You Can't Tell Me, Why Mention It?

With the car still running and the headlights bright, Turner and Hudson walked toward us.  They were both smiling for some reason, like they were seeing old friends for the first time in years.

"Well, I have to say that it's good to see you two again," Turner said, smiling.  His eyes cut to the back door that we'd just closed.  "And I see you've got your baby sister with you also.  I must say she's adorable."

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.  "We were thinking you forgot about what you told us at the hospital when she was born."

Agent Hudson shook her head.  "Oh, no.  We haven't," she said.  "There's just been a lot of things that we had to get together before we sought you guy out again.  We have it now, so here we are."

I looked over them.  They didn't have anything in their hands, nothing on them that could be carrying any type of documents.  They were just standing there, smiling at us.

"So where is it?  Is it an artifact?  Documents?  You don't look like you've got anything on you right now, unless it's in your car," I said, nodding back toward it. 

Turner shook his head.  "No, we don't," he said.  "We can't tell you here.  Actually, we really can't tell you much to begin with."

Really?  If they couldn't tell us anything, why were they even here?  Wasn't that kind of a waste? 

"We'll be sending someone sometime soon to tell you everything that you'll need to know.  Well, everything that she knows, which I'll admit isn't very much.  It's more of a story.  So until then," he said, and nodded once. 

The two of them turned and walked back to their car.  Without even one more glance at us, they got in, backed up, and left without even turning back.  Max and I just stood there, watching their taillights disappear as they turned down the street. 

"Wasn't that confusing," Max said, looking down at me. 

"And they're sending someone?  They do know it's just a few days before Christmas, right?  It's not like we're going to drop our plans to begin another treasure hunt."

He wrapped an arm around my waist as he pulled me to the passenger side door.  After opening it and helping me in, he stood there and looked at me with a slight smile. 

"You know you're just itching to go on another treasure hunt," he said.  "You're bored otherwise."

I shook my head.  "I haven't been bored since the last one."

"Yeah, because we've been with Addy.  But you know you miss it.  And it's not like they're going to send whoever it is tomorrow.  We've got a couple of days.  Christmas Eve is two days away and we're spending all of Christmas day at your dad and Brielle's.  Just think about that for now and don't worry about what they just told us.  They said a few days, so it will hopefully be a few days."

I narrowed my eyes at him.  He was trying to get me to get my mind off of what Hudson and Turner said.  When his slight smile turned sly and he leaned forward toward me, he was definitely getting my mind of things.  My eyes flicked back from his mouth and his eyes, but stayed mostly on his mouth as he leaned closer. 

But right when he pressed his lips to mine, Addy made a noise from the back.  I guess it kind of caught Max by surprise - it did me, too - and he jerked away from me, hitting his head on the top of the doorframe.  He hissed through his teeth and his hand went to his head.  I couldn't contain my laughter, even though it looked like it hurt.