8. Overpacking Is Sometimes A Good Thing

Chapter 8

Overpacking Is Sometimes A Good Thing

It was two days later that we were going to leave.  In that time, we had to figure out where we were going to go that chartered flights to Antarctica.  Finally, after hours of research, Dad called and booked us a hotel and charter plane in Punta Arenas, Chile.  We were going to fly into Presidente Carlos Ibáñez del Campo International Airport, which was about twenty miles north of the city.  Then, we would be driving to our hotel, where we would stay for the night before leaving for our day trip to Antarctica.  I was just hoping that we would have enough time to search for whatever it was we were looking for. 

Because I was kind of late in packing, I pulled my suitcase from the closet and threw it on the bed.  It was one of my bigger ones, seeing as I didn't know how long we were going to be gone.  I grabbed the essentials and packed other things that I knew I would be needing as well.  Once I had everything loaded up in my suitcase, I had to sit on top of it just to get it to close.  But once I started to zip it, it wouldn't budge after getting around the one side. 

"Having difficulties?" Max asked, standing in the doorway and grinning.  "Looks like you could use some help."

I glared playfully at him.  "Really?  Then why don't you come over here and help your poor girlfriend."

Max laughed as he walked over to where I was sitting on my suitcase.  Lifting my legs so that I was sitting cross-legged on top of it, Max reached down and pulled the zipper quickly and efficiently, closing my suitcase without even any effort.

"Well, wasn't that easy," he said, laughing again as he looked at me.

My glare turned not so playful.  "Shut up," I grumbled, and started to slid off my suitcase and onto the bed. 

Max caught me before I could even move a few inches, placing his body between my legs and leaning toward me.  I was exactly level with his face and his eyes were playful as he looked at me.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said.  "Just helping, like I always do."

I rolled my eyes at that.  "Yes, because you're always there to help a damsel in distress."

"Of course.  That's why they always call me their knight in shining armor."

"They?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Max grinned, shrugging nonchalantly.  "All those girls who need help...you could say that I can't resist.  And it's not like they can't resist letting me help either, with me all handsome like I am," he said.  He leaned his face in even more closer to mine, his lips barely brushing.  "But I don't get to do this with them, though."

I knew he was going to kiss me, but the sound of someone in the doorway pulled us apart. 

"Well, Addy, your big sister's not setting a good example for you, is she?"

My face flamed as I looked over Max's shoulder to see Dad standing there, Addy in his arms.  She was smiling around her hands in her mouth.

"Hi, Dad," I said, pushing Max away from me.  "You're here early."

Dad smirked, raising an eyebrow.  "Early?  I told you we'd be here now?"

I glanced over at the clock on the bedside table.  Sure enough, he was right.  "Oh."

His smirk grew.  "So, are you ready?"

I nodded and jumped down off of the bed and my suitcase.  Max lifted it off and onto the floor, pulling up the handle for me.