5. It's Been Lovely, But I Have To Scream Now

Chapter 5

It's Been Lovely, But I Have To Scream Now

I just stood there, looking at Sophie as she stood awkwardly at the front of the door.  She was looking back at me, her expression turning more uncomfortable as I did. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked.  Yeah, I knew she just told me that Agents Turner and Hudson sent her...but why?

"I just told you," she said. 

"But why did they send you?  I mean, they said that they were sending someone who knew about this new treasure that the government kept under wraps.  How could it be you?"

Sophie grimaced and her hand tightened on the handle of her suitcase.  "If you let me, I'll be able to tell you the entire story.  It might take a little while and I know there are going to be a lot of questions, one that I might be able to answer and some that I might not."

I just continued to stand there.  I knew I must have looked like an idiot just standing there and making her stay outside in the freezing cold.  I didn't even want to know what she was thinking as we stared at one another.  Her uncomfortable grimace was turning into an irritated one since I still wasn't letting her in. 

I mean, this was Max's ex-girlfriend.  Sure, I'd only met her one time, but I still didn't like the thought of her and Max being in the same room.  The first time I saw her, she ended up kissing Max, which was not something I wanted happening again.  Granted, we weren't together then, but still!  And the next time I saw her, and officially met her also, it wasn't the best either.  Well, it was more embarrassing for me.

So did I really want to let her inside the house? 

Not really.

Did I want to know what she knew about the treasure?

Unfortunately, yes.

Was I tempted to kick her out the second she told us that information?

Yep.

But was I going to? 

No, because I wasn't that mean...most of the time.

Footsteps sounded behind me, coming down the hallway and stopping right beside me. 

"Sophie, what are you doing here?" Max asked, sounding surprised. 

Sophie looked at him with a frustrated look on her face.  "Can I just come in so I can tell you?  I had a nonstop flight from London with barely any sleep, so I'm kind of tired right now."

I could see Max start to nod from beside me.  "Of course," he said, opening the door farther so she could step inside. 

Max's hand grasped onto mine, pulling me aside before he helped her with her bags, placing them right at the bottom of the staircase.  I just stood there, watching as he did.  I knew he was just being the gentleman he usually was, but it still kind of bugged me.  When his eyes flicked to mine, I raised my eyebrows at him questioningly.  He just shook his head, shrugging.

I walked behind the two of them, just a little ways away, as they headed toward the living room where everyone was.   He was asking her about her flight and if she was hungry.  I couldn't keep my thoughts away from how pretty she was, even if she was exhausted and barely had any makeup on.

But I was going to keep calm and not freak out about her being here.

Too much at least.

The look on Ben and Drew's faces were priceless when the three of us walked into the room.  Both of their eyes widened and jaws dropped in surprise.