Chapter 35

#PTG35 Chapter 35

"Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?" the court asked me as I placed my hand on the bible. Hindi ko inaalis ang mga mata ko kay Iñigo habang isa-isa kong pinapakinggang ang mga salita. He needed to know... he needed to know how much he hurt me... He needed to know that I would not back down without a fight.

He knew me.

He knew how I fucking fought to finish law school amidst everything that happened in my life. I lost my parents... I lost Jax... but I fought to graduate. He must know that I would fight to death. I would fight him to death.

"I do," I answered, my eyes never leaving his.

Rinig ko ang bawat yapak ng mga paa ko sa sahig. Halos marinig ko ang bawat pagbuga ko ng hininga. I could do this... This was nothing compare to everything I had been through.

Nang tuluyan akong maka-upo, hindi agad nakapagsalita si Iñigo. It felt as though he was trying to read my mind as he stared at me with those eyes that lied. But he would never read what I was thinking. He didn't know me that well... Only I knew myself enough to know all the secrets I had been hiding.

"State your name," Iñigo began.

Hinawakan ko ang mga kamay ko. I needed to be calm... I had seen Iñigo do this a couple of times before. He always riles up people when they're on the witness stand. 'It's when anger's high that secrets let loose,' he always told me before.

"Katherine Tyrese Arellano-Ramirez," sagot ko.

For a couple of seconds, he just stood right in front of me. Parang gusto niya akong subukan sa bawat titig niya. But I wouldn't let myself play his game... This was my life... This was my game.

"You had been married to the deceased, Kieran Ramirez, is that right?"

I nodded. "That is right."

"For two years?"

I nodded again. "Two years, four months, and seven days. If you can tell me the time, I will give you the exact hours, as well," I replied, looking him in the eyes.

An amused expression quickly crossed his face... Quickly. But it quickly faded, and was replaced by his unreadable expression. I copied everything he was giving me. I wasn't afraid of him. He could not bend me to his liking. I would not let myself be another stepping stone for his career move.

If he wanted to reach the top, he needed to learn how to take the fucking stairs and quit using the elevator.

"That's not necessary, Mrs. Ramirez," he said. He took a deep breath. "How will you describe your marriage with Kieran Ramirez?"

Mas hinigpitan ko ang hawak sa aking mga kamay. This was it. He was beginning to set his traps... but I would not allow myself to be a fool and willingly step in it.

"A normal marriage," I replied. I should only answer what I was asked. I should not elaborate. I would not give him any opportunity to bend my answer in his favor.

"Care to elaborate?" he pressed on.

"It was a normal marriage, Prosecutor Borromeo," I repeated. "I answered your question."

Pilit siyang ngumiti. He was a great cross-examiner, but we came from the same school. What he knew, I knew, too. We were both cut from the same cloth... The only thing we differ in is the length we were willing to go to for our ambition.

"Jessa, your house help, mentioned... marital disputes. Care to elaborate on that, Mrs. Ramirez?"

'Breathe,' I kept on telling myself. 'Don't let him get to you. This will all be over soon.'