Chapter Five

Opening her eyes, she once again found herself in an unfamiliar place. Only this time she was conscious of the presence of an unfamiliar person, or rather thing, that was next to her on the ground. The wolf's body was pressed up against hers, protecting her from the biting chill in the air and blowing its hot breath onto her neck. Cuddled up like this she had never felt more comfortable, not only was she in the forest where she belonged rather than under a roof suffocated and unable to breathe, but she was also face first in the fur of one of the deadliest animals alive.

Groaning and sitting up despite her heart telling her to lay back down and go back to bed, she used her arms to push herself back to standing. Hearing her noise of protest, the wolf cracked open a singular eye, staring at her lazily while it watched her from beneath half open lids. The wolf sat up slowly, tucking his head under her palm, waiting for her next move. Resigned but also determined, she started onwards towards home, anxiously awaiting the familiar sight of the river and her rock enclosure.

The trek was slow, and she could still feel the soreness that resided deep within her muscles. She didn't know how she had gotten to the cabin after her treacherous fall into the river, or how she hadn't frozen to death in the process, but with no one to answer her questions, she pushed them into the back of her mind. Step by step they got closer to their destination and finally, as night began to fall, she began to recognize their surroundings.

The wolf had not left her side all day, keeping close to provide her warmth while watching the forest around her, listening for noises that may mean danger. The winds had been suspiciously quiet the whole time and she could not help but wonder what they were thinking. They obviously trusted the wolf with her life, and she could not deny that she had begun to as well. It was obvious the wolf wished her no harm, rather he was protecting her and helping her home. She could not help but be glad for his presence and wondered what would happen once they parted ways.

The trees gave way to the welcome sight of rocks and the soft sounds of running water. She was home and she was beyond exhausted. Beginning the short climb to the enclosure that she was certain would mean safety and warmth, her legs buckled. Before she could hit the ground, the wolf had slid himself under her, propping her up as best he could.

"Thank you, Wolf." She muttered tiredly, she was feeling the exhaustion catch up to her from the long trip from the cabin.

Whining the wolf motioned towards the cave entrance. Helping her up and into the enclosure, she collapsed into a heap against the wall where she usually slept.

"You can go now," she said, "I am grateful for your help, I will forever be indebted to you."

Closing her eyes, she let sleep take her, slipping into the dark welcoming abyss that was her lack of dreams.

Opening her eyes her heart filled with contentment as she recognized the rock walls that surrounded her. Looking around the small cavern was empty and there was not a single sign that the wolf had ever been there. Surprised by the sudden reversal of her mood, she could not explain why the wolf's absence caused her heart to clench painfully.

The wolf should mean nothing to her, just another creature of the forest that roamed freely like herself. However, she felt different without the beast by her side, almost lacking in a sense that she did not understand. Her spirits were low, and her hand rose up to clutch her chest, almost as if to check that her heart still beat in its home beneath her ribs. Shaking the feeling off she bent down to retrieve her bow. The time spent away from camp was time lost and she could not help but worry about the coming months of cold. Her time away had cost her dearly, she would need to hunt and gather especially fast if she were to survive what was to come, but even then, her odds were less than favourable.

Steadying her breathing and hardening her resolve, she knew she had no time to waste. Stepping outside to begin the long day ahead of her, she tripped at the threshold of the cave and began to roll down the slight incline of the rock face. Hearing a high-pitched whine from behind her, she stopped as she hit the grass at the bottom of the little hill.

Wincing and sitting up she gasped at the figure of the wolf, head cocked to the side and eyes looking exceedingly worried. Looking down at herself still clad in only a pair of boxers and a long sleeve, now dirty with a few slight tears, she began to laugh. Where her heart had minutes ago been at its lowest, it was now soaring. Her wolf had not left after all, instead, he had been resting at the opening of the cave, protecting her as he always was.

Instead of subsiding, her laughter fast turned into uncontrollable sobs. Hugging herself as tight as she could manage, she could not get air into her lungs fast enough. Her body was shaking as tears flowed down her face and she was only partially aware of the fur covered body that wrapped itself around her. Letting go of her torso, her hands wrapped themselves around the wolf's body with minds of their own, and she buried her face into the soft fur of his side.

It had been so long since she had felt the touch of another, even if that other happened to be a large and dangerous wolf. So long since she had felt taken care of and safe. All that was left for her to do was come to terms with the fact that winter was coming, and whatever happened was up to fate.

Nudging her with his snout, the wolf motioned her back towards the cave,

"I can't," she told him softly, sniffling and rubbing at her running nose,

"We need to stock for winter, there's so much to do."

Ignoring her pleas, he once again pushed her towards the cave. Humouring him, she walked back up and into the dim cavern. Glaring at her with canine eyes, he blocked the entrance until she laid back down where she had been sleeping before. Giving her a wolfish grin, he stayed put at the entranceway, blocking any light from outside. Unable to help herself she felt the lull of sleep beckoning her, pulling her back into the land of the dreams despite her many protests.

When she came to, she rolled onto her back and stared up at the rock surface above her head. She felt hopeless, with her aching body and worn out disposition she knew there was no way she could make it through the cold spell that was nearing. The sheer determination and force of will that had gotten her through years in the wilderness was starting to dwindle and the thought of staying where she was and waiting for death to claim her was almost irresistible.

Lying motionless for the hours she watched as the light of day started to fade as dusk fell upon the forest. It was not until she was shoved that she was pulled from her stupor. It was the wolf, its large body taking up most if not all of the caves available space. He was whining and shoving her repeatedly, his eyes big as if they were begging her.

She found it almost unbelievable how easily she understood what he wanted just from the nudge of a nose of the widening of his eyes. It was as if they spoke the same language, a voiceless one that only they two shared. Following the wolf outside after his repeated begging, for the second time that day tears were brought to her eyes. Laying at the threshold of the cave were two large male deer. The wolf trotted over to them and sat back on his haunches, cocking his head to the side his tongue rolled out of his mouth in an effort to grin.

He had hunted for them, and if he kept it up, winter may not be so harsh after all.

----

Vote, Comment and Share!