Chapter Twenty Four

It was Margot's multiple attempts at pulling Soren from her glazed over state that finally resulted in the return of her presence to the real world. She was confused at first, not recognizing where she was and asking why James wasn't with her.

Margot hushed her dazed friend and helped her change out of her couple-day-old clothes and get into a nice hot bath. Soren was in an exhausted and confused state, so Margot regaled her with stories in a soft tone, easing her worries and helping her relax. When the bath was over and Soren seemed to be mostly aware of her surroundings, Margot helped her into a pair of sweatpants and an oversized hoodie of Matt's.

Soren didn't like wearing Matt's hoodie, it was warm and arguably just as comfortable as James', but it smelt and felt wrong. She felt like she was betraying the man that she had sworn her life to by doing something as simple as wearing another man's clothes. Like James', they drowned her small frame, and she had to roll up both the sleeves and the cuffs of the pants.

Matt and Margot were overly kind, speaking in gentle tones and catering to every whim of the fragile human they had both grown to love. Soren felt like they were treating her like a child, but instead of being offended she took solace in the comfort of the two parental figures. They made her eat, and her stomach clenched in anticipation of the food that they sat on the table in front of her.

While the sight of food made her stomach growl in happiness, it also made her question where James was. She had a hard time imagining that he would be okay letting others care for her this way when he was perfectly capable of doing so himself. She picked at her food, disturbed at the lack of answers she had been given since coming to realize she was no longer at the cabin.

"Margot?" She called for the attention of the tall brunette that was slaving away at the stove.

"Yeah, Ren?"

"I need to know where James is. I have to, it's killing me."

The pleading tone was clear in her voice. She almost couldn't function with the worry that consumed her wholeheartedly.

"Okay, but you have to promise me you'll stay here with me and Matt okay? You have to promise."

Soren shook her head,

"You know that's not fair, Mar. I can't promise that, not until I know what happened, tell me what's going on!"

By the end of the sentence her voice had risen. It was the first time Soren had felt even remotely upset or irritated by Margot, but as a wolf herself, Margot should have known not to interfere when it came to mates.

"Alright, finish your meal and then we'll talk."

Margot turned her back on Soren and went back to the stove, she made it clear that her demand was non-negotiable. Knowing that it was the best offer she was going to get, Soren made no move to argue, instead eating her food as fast as she was able, anxious to hear the whole story and put her worries at ease.

It felt like forever before Margot helped her walk slowly to the sitting room. The lay out was much the same as the one back in the cabin except on a large scale. The furnishings were dark brown and more modern than her and James', but Soren found she much preferred the worn-in nature of the ones back at the cabin. Margot and Matt's home was lovely and would fit in perfectly in a home décor catalogue, but it wasn't Soren's style. Evaluating the furniture and overall ambiance of the room only served to make Soren more homesick for the small two-story house that she deemed home.

"Don't leave anything out." Soren demanded, settling into the stiff couch directly across from the hearth.

Margot took a deep breath in,