Crimson

*trigger warning*

Kate stumbled along the corridor of the large house until she found an empty bathroom. She staggered as she thrust open the wooden door. She gripped the edge of the sink like her life depended on it because, at this moment, it did. She was afraid to look in the mirror because she didn't want to see the mess she had become.   When she built up the courage to look in the mirror, she saw that the blood from her head was mixing with the tears that were running down her cheeks.

She sank to the floor with a sob. Each sob that came was an earthquake, shaking Kate's body like a sack of potatoes. "It wasn't supposed to be like this," she whispered to herself as she gasped for breath. "Jess and I were supposed to do this together."  She was always the one who way left behind. The one who was forgotten. Nobody would choose her first. She was worthless to the outside world.  "You are worth nothing," said the voices that echoed in her head.

It could have been hours or minutes since Kate had arrived in the bathroom. The loud music boomed from some unknown location. She could hear people doing things in the next room over. She looked over towards the shower.  "I need to clean up before I look for Jess," she thought.  She picked her self up and shuffled towards the shower. As she started to run the water, she spotted a razor. 

Kate looked down at her wrists. She saw the white stripes that were left from the last time she slit herself.  She was used to letting out pain this way.  It was either that or burning.  She was using all her willpower to withhold herself from sinking that blade deep into her skin.

She was nearly successful.

She barely registered what she was doing until that sharp metal was like fire across her skin.  She had cut deeply this time, her blood spilled out on the floor. People banged on the door, but the inside was quiet. There was simply silence.